Get Win 2000 domain server to connect to internet
I picked up a Computer someone was throwing away. It's running 2000 server and is setup as a domain server. I know nothing about servers and don't need one for my simple home network. I'm a Linux guy but would like to keep 2000 on this system. I have installed a wireless NIC and it works fine with Ubuntu. (dual booted) but 2000 does not connect to the internet. What do I need to do to get internet connection through my home network? I ran internet connection wizard but no joy.
October 30th, 2010 9:02pm

If the 2000 server recognizes the hardware and you have the correct drivers installed, did you validate that an appropriate IP address was bound to the NIC? IPCONFIG /ALL? Visit: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 31st, 2010 12:00am

Results of Ipconfig: Host Name..................MSOHIO Primary DNS Suffix.....medspeedohio.medspeed.com IP Routing Enabled......YES Wins Proxy Enabled.....NO Ethernet Adapter..........Local Area Connection3 Media State.................Cable Disconnected Description..................TP- Link 11d/g wireless adapter Physical Address.........00-1d-0f-b4-85-cd I'm not interested in keeping any existing info/settings. Just want to get 2000 on the internet. How do I configure a IP to the NIC? In Linux.........Ifconfig results with a IP address, Bcast number and Mask number.bhrich
October 31st, 2010 5:46pm

hello bhrich, the first issue you have to resolve is that the results above indicate that the cable is disconnected. The default configuration for any Windows NIC is going to be DHCP. If the cable was connected, you would have received an IP configuration from the internal DHCP server (or consumer router providing internet services). If no DHCP service was avaible, Windows systems defaault back to an APIPA address. To configure a static IP, you can easily do so by accessing the network card's properties (you can get there via control panel), IP properties. Visit: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 31st, 2010 10:09pm

Hi, Please understand that Windows 2000 version is not supported yet, you might like to upgrade to higher version. Meanwhile, You might like to consult with TP-Link and acquire wireless configuration and supervisor program that could running on windows 2000 host, so that you could access your home wireless network. If that is possible , could you replace a wire NIC ? http://www.tplink.com/support/Localesupport.asp Thank. Tiger Li Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
November 1st, 2010 10:21am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics