Get-WinEvent time-stamp filtering not producing desired results

I am trying to filter events via the following commands to get specific logs from the last 24 hours:

$EventLogFilter = @{logname='ForwardedEvents'; id=4771,4625,4768; StartTime=(Get-Date).AddHours(-24)}
$LogonEvents = Get-WinEvent -FilterHashtable $EventLogFilter

I am very confused about the output. It only returns the following events:

And yet look at all of the events in the log it did not pickup:

There are many more events but I just took a screenshot to show this in the GUI.

Why isn't it picking up all of these events.

July 25th, 2013 10:34am

Another Example:

$EventLogFilter = @{logname='ForwardedEvents'; id=4771,4625,4768; StartTime=(Get-Date).AddHours(-24)}
$LogonEvents = (Get-WinEvent -FilterHashtable $EventLogFilter) 
$LogonEvents.count

Now, if I remove the StartTime filter from Get-WinEvent and filter with where-object you can see how many of these events there actually are:

$EventLogFilter = @{logname='ForwardedEvents'; id=4771,4625,4768}
$LogonEvents = (Get-WinEvent -FilterHashtable $EventLogFilter)
($LogonEvents | ?{$_.TimeCreated -ge (Get-Date).Addhours(-24)}).count

So it missed almost 20,000 event logs! What the heck is going on, am I doing something stupid, is Get-WinEvent broken? Is there a limit to the number of logs this cmldet can filter before it freaks out and produces unreliable results?

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 25th, 2013 11:14am

Your script only looks at the last 24 hours:

StartTime=(Get-Date).AddHours(-24)
July 25th, 2013 11:15am

Yeah, which should return 19497 logs- or am I missing something?
July 25th, 2013 11:24am

Try with -FilterXML

Here is the XML Filter...

<QueryList><Query Id="0" Path="ForwardedEvents"><Select Path="ForwardedEvents">*[System[(EventID=4771) and TimeCreated[timediff(@Sy
stemTime) &lt;= 3600000]]]</Select></Query></QueryList>

The time listed (In bold) is in milliseconds for 1 hour (60 Minutes*60 Seconds*1000). Alter this as required.

I have the same exact requirement and the FilterXML works perfectly.

July 25th, 2013 11:28am

YES. That works perfectly. The following gave me exactly what I wanted with added convenience of letting the GUI built the query for me:

$FilterXML = '<QueryList>
  <Query Id="0" Path="ForwardedEvents">
    <Select Path="ForwardedEvents">*[System[(EventID=4771 or EventID=4625 or EventID=4768) and TimeCreated[timediff(@SystemTime) &lt;= 86400000]]]</Select>
  </Query>
</QueryList>'
$LogonEvents = Get-WinEvent -FilterXml $FilterXML
$LogonEvents | sort -Property TimeCreated | Select-Object -First 1

Doing ($LogonEvents | sort -Property TimeCreated | Select-Object -First 1) I was able to confirm the oldest log was exactly 24 hours old.

Should have poked around in the docs more because I didn't event know about -filterxml. I think I'll be using that from now on.

July 25th, 2013 12:23pm

FIlterHAsh works perfectly if you use it correctly and if you have all of the updates for Net 4.0

July 25th, 2013 12:43pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics