Get-ADGroupMember - Trusted Domain User Accounts

I have several two way domain trusts at the moment and I think I'm hitting some type of resource problem or timeout when using Get-ADGroupMember on domain local groups that contain user accounts from the trusted domains. 

I can only get the cmdlet to work while I'm using Powershell (v2 or v3) on a domain controller (2008R2 and 2012 systems) in my root/primary domain.  If I use another member server of my root domain I get an error message that "FullyQualifiedErrorId : A local error has occurred,Microsoft.ActiveDirectory.Management.Commands.GetADGroupMember".  If I use ADUC on that same member server it resolves the names without a problem.  Using get-adgroupmember on member servers for AD groups without user accounts from trusted domains works as expected.  I've tried bumping up the Kerberos size limit to the maximum on my member server and validated the trusts but no change.

Any ideas are appreciated, thanks.

July 2nd, 2013 10:58am

Not sure what the problem might be, but have you tried using the -Server parameter when using the cmdlet on a member server and specifying the domain controllers that works? This will force the member server to contact a specific domain controller (where the cmdlet works) to perform the query.

Mike

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 2nd, 2013 11:18am

Thanks Mike, I tried specifying the DC but I still got a local operations error.

However, I think I'm on my way to resolving this problem.  We had to setup a new DC for one of our trusted domains (based in Europe) locally and once that new trusted DC was promoted, subnets configured, etc I was able to query the groups without error.  And since I was using the local trusted DC the results appear much quicker.

July 2nd, 2013 1:23pm

Hi,

Does it work when you use -server parameter and point to the root/primary domain?

Also make sure that you are running it as administrator.

Regards,

Yan Li

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here .

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 4th, 2013 4:15am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics