Geo-Replication in SQL Azure

We are looking to move from geographically distributed and replicated physical/virtual data machines to SQL Azure.

We would like to have synched/replicated Azure SQL DB instances in multiple regions. I would appreciate if you could answer some questions related to how to achieve this and what to expect:

1. Is Azure SQL Sync the correct approach for geo-replicating Azure SQL Databases?

2. What is the Performance SLA that I can expect for the synchronization? I would like to know the minimum and maximum delay possible for the synchronization. (I can see that the minimum sync frequency is 5 minutes. What would be the sync delay when the sync is triggered every 5 minutes?)

• Edited by SnehanshuAshar Thursday, January 09, 2014 10:00 PM Added clarification
January 9th, 2014 11:30pm

Hello,

1. SQL Data sync can be used for synchronization across SQL Database sites or between SQL Database and an on-premise SQL Server instance. But also notes: SQL Data Sync is currently available only as a Preview and is meant only for product feedback for future releases and should not be used in production environments. Currently, there are limits in SQL Data Sync.

2. Windows Azure SQL Database keep triple redundancy within the Azure data center combined with the 99.9% availability SLA. SQL Database does not currently provide any SLA for performance or for security. As for SQL Data Syc, I can not find any document from BOL about the SLA for SQL Data sync.

Reference:SQL Data Sync (Preview) Best Practices

Regards,
Fanny Liu

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 10th, 2014 6:35am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics