Generating certificates for users connecting to wifi.
You need to install CA (Certification Authority) on your server. For that, the respective server needs to be a domain controller. After you install the CA, simply go to IIS and request certificate for the common name you would like. Place the request in the web GUI and then, as administrator, from the console on the server go to Pending requests and issue the certificate you earier requested. Then you can download from the same web GUI where you requested it. Pls. note you need to give to the clients who will be using your certificate also the CA certificate so they can load it in their trusted root authorities certificates, so they will see the certs issued by your server "valid" and "secure". Otherwise some things may not work e.g. SSTP VPN and others. Hope this helps. Please refer to bing and search or the technet knowladgebase as it is full of related articles for this issue with full step by step info and even screen shots However, this is a pain in the *** solution. Why go to all trouble and issue certificates (is not that easy) and then install the CA certificate as trusted authority, bla bla. Many of the people who will need to use this certificate will find troubles making it work, so I suggest buying a SSL cert sign by a third party recognized authority .. it's much more faster and easier. it takes few minutes to issue and it is accepted by default by everybody nothing else needs to be installed. for cheapest rates please reffer to sky-ip[dot]org and drop an email.
August 30th, 2011 12:12pm

You need to install CA (Certification Authority) on your server. For that, the respective server needs to be a domain controller. After you install the CA, simply go to IIS and request certificate for the common name you would like. Place the request in the web GUI and then, as administrator, from the console on the server go to Pending requests and issue the certificate you earier requested. Then you can download from the same web GUI where you requested it. Pls. note you need to give to the clients who will be using your certificate also the CA certificate so they can load it in their trusted root authorities certificates, so they will see the certs issued by your server "valid" and "secure". Otherwise some things may not work e.g. SSTP VPN and others. Hope this helps. Please refer to bing and search or the technet knowladgebase as it is full of related articles for this issue with full step by step info and even screen shots However, this is a pain in the *** solution. Why go to all trouble and issue certificates (is not that easy) and then install the CA certificate as trusted authority, bla bla. Many of the people who will need to use this certificate will find troubles making it work, so I suggest buying a SSL cert sign by a third party recognized authority .. it's much more faster and easier. it takes few minutes to issue and it is accepted by default by everybody nothing else needs to be installed. for cheapest rates please reffer to sky-ip[dot]org and drop an email.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 30th, 2011 12:12pm

Hello, I do not see how one can create a certificate with Windows 2008 server standard edition. The service is installed (ps I'm replacing a person who is gone) I look in certsrv certification authority (local), I see certificate revoked, issued, pending request, request failed, certificate templates ... I saw a model created called wifiusers and another which is in AD. If you could enlighten me it will be great. Thank you in advance.
August 30th, 2011 6:58pm

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 30th, 2011 7:12pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics