General networking failure on Windows Server 2008
I have a Windows server on which a number of services will no longer start. These include Base Filtering Engine, DHCP Client, Network Location Awareness, and Windows Firewall. When attempting to start NLA, an error is displayed which indicates that the Network Location Awareness service terminated with code 1073741288. When attempting to start BFE or DHCP, a less specific error is given indicating error 0x5, "Access is denied". The system's active ethernet interface no longer has its statically configured IPv4 address. The interface has a link-local address, only, for both IPv4 and IPv6. Other hosts on the same broadcast domain with link-local addresses are unable to reach it, so although it has addresses the networking stack is not functioning. I believe that it will not function until the firewall service is repaired. When attempting to view the IPv4 properties of the ethernet adapter, I'm given an error message indicating that "to configure TCP/IP you must install and enable a network adapter". Removing and reinstalling the network adapter did not repair the problem. Removing IPv4 is impossible, as far as I can tell. MS KB 943996 includes directions for fixing a similar problem. The permissions documented therein were, in fact, missing on this workstation. However, this system's problem seems more extensive than MS documented in that article. Short of booting from the installation media and attempting a "repair" of windows, does anyone have any suggestions for restoring networking to this system?
February 4th, 2011 7:25pm

are you logged on with all the administrators account ? this doesnts seems to be the default behaviour of windows server please restart you machine in the safe mode and do a virus scan using the melicious remval tool and let us know if it helps. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyId=AD724AE0-E72D-4F54-9AB3-75B8EB148356&displaylang=enhttp://www.virmansec.com/blogs/skhairuddin
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 5th, 2011 1:20am

Hi, Thanks for posting here. In addition , Have you ever modified any system setting before this issue occurred ? like software or patch installation, admin password changing ..etc.? Meanwhile, please verify any error or warring ID and description that recorded in event log and post here , so that we can find out root cause and provide accurate solution. Consider that situation right now , I think performing repair installation is the proper way to start correcting this issue. Have you ever backup your system before? Thanks. Tiger Li TechNet Subscriber Support in forum If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.comPlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
February 6th, 2011 11:46pm

Hi, If there is any update on this issue, please feel free to let us know. We are looking forward to your reply. Tiger Li TechNet Subscriber Support in forum If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.comPlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 9th, 2011 2:38am

Ahh This old chestnut - it's likely down to the BFE so lets get that fixed by following this quick guide: Windows Server Base Filtering Engine Service Access Denied
July 19th, 2012 10:28am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics