Gen 2 VM with Physical Disks
Hyper-V 2012 R2 with gen 2 VM. We have a JBoD attached to the server via SAS. We need to be able to use this JBoD. So when i add the physical disks to the VM using hyper-v manager, the VM will not start. Can you use physical disks with gen 2 VM's?
September 1st, 2015 11:05am

hi,

Ideally it should work. Check the below link which says as below.

If a Pass-through disk, being used to support an operating system installation, is brought Onlinebefore the Guest is started, the Guest will fail to start. When using Pass-through disks to support an operating system installation, provisions must be made for storing the Guest configuration file in an alternate location. This is because the entire Pass-through disk is consumed by the operating system installation. An example would be to locate the configuration file on another internal drive in the Hyper-V server itself. Or, if it is a cluster, the configuration file can be hosted on a separate cluster providing highly available file services. Be aware that Pass-through disks cannot be dynamically expanded. Additionally, when using Pass-through disks, you lose the capability to take snapshots, and finally, you cannot use differencing disks with Pass-through disks.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askcore/archive/2008/10/24/configuring-pass-through-disks-in-hyper-v.aspx

Please provide us error message or screenshot.

-Umesh.S.K

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 1st, 2015 11:37am

There is no error message, it just never starts (both at a powershell start-vm <vmname> or from hyper-v manager). These disks are NOT hosting an OS installation, just used as data storage. At the present, these disks are not clustered. I add the disks using hyper-v manager and at this point they are offline. I add them as SCSI drives

And that link was posted in 2008. Not exactly how accurate that is for 2012 R2?

• Edited by forgiven 15 hours 13 minutes ago
September 1st, 2015 11:44am

Found out that you have to add a SCSI controller and attach the pgysical drives to that controller. Now the VM starts
September 1st, 2015 12:36pm

Glad to hear you solved the issue :)

-Umesh.S.K

September 1st, 2015 12:39pm

How else did you manage to attach the physical disk to the VM?  (there are only SCSI controllers)

Or, do you mean that you had to create a secondary SCSI controller?

September 1st, 2015 12:40pm

How else did you manage to attach the physical disk to the VM?  (there are only SCSI controllers)

Or, do you mean that you had to create a secondary SCSI controller?

September 1st, 2015 4:22pm

Hyper-V event logs can be found under:

Events: Applications and Services: Microsoft: Windows: Hyper-V*

on the Hyper-V host.

You should find great detail in there.

There are agent, VM, management, etc. event log areas.

September 1st, 2015 4:25pm

Hyper-V event logs can be found under:

Events: Applications and Services: Microsoft: Windows: Hyper-V*

on the Hyper-V host.

You should find great detail in there.

There are agent, VM, management, etc. event log

September 1st, 2015 4:40pm

hmm.  I would not expect a processor error to be associated with the passthrough disks.

I would expect the error to be in the storage service event log.

Did you look through them all at the timestamp of trying to boot the VM?

September 1st, 2015 6:30pm

hmm.  I would not expect a processor error to be associated with the passthrough disks.

I would expect the error to be in the storage service event log.

Did you look through them all at the timestamp of trying to boot t

September 1st, 2015 7:08pm

Ok so i have the 3016 hooked to the server via a SAS cable. I have manually gotten the 12 drives ready so diskpart on the hyper-v server sees the drives. All 12 have been "cleaned" using diskpart and are offline in diskpart on the hyper-v server. The guest OS, at this point does not see the drives in disk management. Using hyper-v manager on the vm, i can add the drives to a SCSI controller but i have not as of yet. So far, is this the proper process to attach drives to a VM for (non-OS) use?
September 1st, 2015 8:36pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics