GPResult /H Report.html - ERROR: Invalid pointer

I am trying to generate an RSOP but keep on getting an error "ERROR: Invalid pointer".
Here is what I am running: gpresult /h report.html

I have seen a similar post on the forums and the fix was to re-register DLLs but that didn't help me. Someone else said it's a permission issue in an OU but not sure. Does anyone have any other idea?

August 2nd, 2015 1:19pm

Hi,

>>I am trying to generate an RSOP but keep on getting an error "ERROR: Invalid pointer".
Here is what I am running: gpresult /h report.html

Before going further, what user account did we use to run the command, standard domain user? If we try to run the command with domain admin or local admin privileges, will the issue persist? Besides, does this error happen when the user account (if it's domain account) try to run the command on another computer?

Best regards,
Frank Shen

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 4th, 2015 2:58am

I am using a standard domain user account. If I run the same using my domain administrator account it works. The problem persists on other computers as well.
August 6th, 2015 10:55am

Did you run CMD as admin (with normal user) ?

Think you will need local admin rights at least to run it.

August 6th, 2015 10:57am

I am a local administrator on my computer. From experience, you do not need to be a local admin to run it anyway. I think there is a permission issue somewhere, maybe on one of the OUs it references.
August 6th, 2015 10:59am

Does "gpresult /v" can be run?

I think it is better to run with domain user also as local administrators group.

August 6th, 2015 11:04am

You have to spesify destination to save the file, e.g: gpresult /H C:\report.html
August 6th, 2015 11:13am

gpresult /v works
August 6th, 2015 12:28pm

try this solution:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/0ea20c5d-c0ae-457d-89d4-a1686a359e72/gpresult-h-gpreporthtml-error-invalid-pointer?forum=winserverGP

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/249873

August 6th, 2015 1:51pm

Re-registering DLLs did not help as mentioned in my original post. Any other ideas?
August 6th, 2015 2:58pm

Can you try the powershell equivalent?

PS C:> Get-GPResultantSetOfPolicy -reporttype html -path c:\test.html

Just to see if it works with the cmdlet. I can't reproduce your issue but am trying.

Kevin

August 6th, 2015 3:49pm

Agree with kenanutd,

since gpresult /v works,then it might be related to permission.

When in CDM,which path are you at?

Try to save the report file in another folder .

Worst case you could try to repair the whole dll register by running this in cmd as admin:

SFC /SCANNOW

August 6th, 2015 7:15pm

I am in my user profile: C:\Users\christian

There is no difference if I change directory to C:\temp, which *everyone* has full control over:

C:\temp>gpresult /h report.html
ERROR: Invalid pointer

I've also already run SFC /SCANNOW which made no difference. I think there is maybe a permission issue on either my account or an OU in AD.

August 7th, 2015 5:26am

have you tried to use another different domain user account? also try to use another machine to run gpresult?

August 7th, 2015 5:43pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics