GPO Scheduled Tasks not applying on Win 8 Pro, Win 7 Ultimate ?

Hello,

I have this automatic computer shutdown (computer configuration>scheduled tasks) GPO for whole workstations.  I linked and enforced the GPO to computers OU and in security filtering added groups for 'Head office Computers' and 'Head office Staff' which where I only want this GPO applied.

The policy gets applied on my Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows 7 professional workstations but not on Windows 8 Pro and Windows 7 ultimate clients in the domain (all users+computers added to the security groups surely)

I created the below GPO first (Scheduled task windows vista and later) , it applied well on my Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows 7 professional workstations upon reboot

Since it did not applied on Win 8 and 7 Ulimate, I created another GPO (Simple Scheduled Task - not os specific)

Again BOTH of them applied on my Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows 7 professional machines, but NEITHER of them on Windows 8 and Windows 7 Ultimate nodes.

I belive I have created the policy correctly with correct security filters (Computer Config; computer Ou, Computer group in filter)

Our DCs : Win 2003 R2 SP2 (FSMO), Win 2008 R2 SP1 (replica)

What's mis

November 12th, 2013 8:25am

> What's missing??   Admin commandline: gpresult /h report.html Is your GPO applied at all? If not: Why?  
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 13th, 2013 8:18am

> What's missing??   Admin commandline: gpresult /h report.html Is your GPO applied at all? If not: Why?  
November 13th, 2013 9:11am

> I ran gpresult /h report.html and can't see that gpo in those affected > PCS.  Apparently it's a computer preference configuration issue i.e.   You cannot even see the GPO in "applied GPOs" or "denied GPOs"? Then it's not linked to the OU where this computers reside.  
November 13th, 2013 10:25am

> I ran gpresult /h report.html and can't see that gpo in those affected > PCS.  Apparently it's a computer preference configuration issue i.e.   You cannot even see the GPO in "applied GPOs" or "denied GPOs"? Then it's not linked to the OU where this computers reside.  
November 13th, 2013 10:56am

Am 13.11.2013 11:56, schrieb Insaf Muhammed: > Reason: Access Denied (Security Filtering)   Then check your security filter. Don't forget the "Delegation" tab...  
November 13th, 2013 2:22pm

Am 13.11.2013 11:56, schrieb Insaf Muhammed: > Reason: Access Denied (Security Filtering)   Then check your security filter. Don't forget the "Delegation" tab...  
November 13th, 2013 2:26pm

Hello Martin,

I found the cause of my troubles and solved the issue.  In one word I had been applying the computer configuration preferences using security groups in filters (delegation same)  which never worked and I just read it's somewhat a bad idea!  I gave a good read on loopback processing right away and did the below

1) I moved the Shutdown scheduled task preference  from computer configuration into user configuration preferences, the task set to run as Domain Administrator (XXXX\Administrator ) with high privileges (Action: Replace)

2) Enabled loopback processing from System/Group Policy under computer configuration (Mode: Replace)

3) Added  BUILTIN\Backup Operators, XXX\Domain Admins, XXXX\Administrator into 'Access this computer from the network' and ' Log on as a batch job' policies under Local Policies/User Rights Assignments

4) Linked the scope to 'Head Office computers' OU that is my target computer OU

5) Added into security filters 'Head Office computers Group' (target computers in HO) and 'Head Office users Group' (target users in HO). Deleted default 'Authenticated Users' from security filters and added it into Delegations manually with 'read' permission only  (I still don't have the logic what it would do, just did)

6)I visited some target clients and pushed gpupdate+logoff,  I could see Windows 7 pro users and Server 2008 users have got the policy in their local 'Task Scheduler' MMC..Bingoo!!

7) However Windows 8 pro and Windows 7 ultimate people couldn't still see the policy in Task Scheduler BUT when I populated a gpresult.exe I COULD that hey also got this applied in 'applied policies' list...Voilaaa!!!  But why can't they see the shutdown schedule in Task Scheduler is another enigma for me!

I am just elaborating the story in case it'd be helpful to someone, I had been bugging my head on this anyway.

November 14th, 2013 9:17am

Am 14.11.2013 10:17, schrieb Insaf Muhammed: > 7) However Windows 8 pro and Windows 7 ultimate people couldn't still > see the policy in Task Scheduler BUT when I populated a gpresult.exe I > COULD that hey also got this applied in 'applied policies' > list...Voilaaa!!!  But why can't they see the shutdown schedule in Task > Scheduler is another enigma for me!   Because the task hasn't appropriate ACLs to let them view.  
November 14th, 2013 3:27pm

Am 14.11.2013 10:17, schrieb Insaf Muhammed: > 7) However Windows 8 pro and Windows 7 ultimate people couldn't still > see the policy in Task Scheduler BUT when I populated a gpresult.exe I > COULD that hey also got this applied in 'applied policies' > list...Voilaaa!!!  But why can't they see the shutdown schedule in Task > Scheduler is another enigma for me!   Because the task hasn't appropriate ACLs to let them view.  
November 15th, 2013 9:52am

Hi,

I have a similar issue with a policy that works fine with 2008/R2 but not with 2012/R2. in gpresult I can see the policy has been applied, but in Task-Scheduler there is no Task created...

I'm going crazy with that...

Regards
Miranda

June 16th, 2014 12:06pm

@Miranda, did you ever find a solution? I have the same issue as you - the GPO is showing as applied (without error), yet the task isn't visible. I've run task scheduler as administrator, as have I run get-scheduledtask in PS. Nothing!
May 26th, 2015 8:50am

Hi,

I think the solution for my case was, to let the scheduled task run as "SYSTEM". It is still configured for "Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2" but it is also working on 2012 R2.

Regards
Miranda

May 27th, 2015 2:45am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics