GPM Custom GPO-Settings: An error occurred while generating report: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Hello,

As you can tell from the title of this question, I am no expert with GPO's.  Before I begin, I spent a few minutes to an hour searching and reading in hopes of finding the solution and avoid putting myself out there as a "GPO Newb".  While I found several posts and answers that were similar and were related, the questions and answers were more advanced and did present the solutions providing the person had initial knowledge already.  That is not necessarily my case and I would ask for a little patience and a bit of 'hand-holding' for what I need.

I run SBS 2011, and in Group Policy Management I have a custom GPO.  In this GPO I define all my settings.  I understand this may not be the best or most practical method of applying policies, but I am not very strict and have few settings.  This policy existed prior to my joining the company, and was migrated in to this SBS '11 from SBS '03.  That may be the issue, but before making any changes I am seeking expert advice.

When I select that GPO, named "Main GPO", and click on the tab at the top "Settings" I see the error: "An error occurred while generating report: Object reference not set to an instance of an object."

I saw that when I right click the GPO > View > Options and select the tab "Reporting" that it states that for reporting to work the location of the .adm files must be specified.  I see that my option for the location is set to "Default" which by my guessing would be located in the C:\Windows\sysvol directory.  Below is what I see there:

C:\Windows\sysvol\domain
C:\Windows\sysvol\staging
C:\Windows\sysvol\staging areas
C:\Windows\sysvol\sysvol

I think the problem is that my custom GPO are not inside the default location, which I speculate is: C:\Windows\sysvol\domain\policies (which I do see some objects there).
But instead I also see items in this folder: C:\Windows\sysvol\sysvol\JOHN.LOCAL\policies (while where I just typed 'JOHN.LOCAL' is my actual local domain).

To further this, when I edit that custom GPO, then at the very top of the tree I right click on it and select Properties, I see a Unique Name listed there as a long string of numbers and letters, similar to a registry entry.  I searched my server for that same Unique Name and found it listed inside the folder: C:\Windows\sysvol\domain\policies

If I am correct with my assumption and basic knowledge, I should move all objects as follows:
-Move FROM: C:\Windows\sysvol\domain\policies
-Move TO: C:\Windows\sysvol\sysvol\JOHN.LOCAL\policies

My concerns are that I am not correct at all, that I will break something, that there may be an easier fix than moving anything, or that I am overlooking something causing this error altogether. 

Thank you for anyone's help and time with assisting me with this request.

John Fester

February 18th, 2014 1:10pm

> top "Settings" I see the error: "An error occurred while generating > report: Object reference not set to an instance of an object."   That's due to a security setting (most possibly) your current OS does not understand. Hard to find out wich exact setting it is... To resolve this issue, we need the gtpptmpl.inf file residing in the policiy's sysvol folder. To open this folder, edit the policy, move to computer settings - policies - windows settings - scripts - startup, press "show files". Then move two folders upwards and back down to .\microsoft\windows nt\secedit. There you'll see the gpttmpl.inf - post its contents and we'll have a look at it.   > location, which I speculate is: C:\Windows\sysvol\domain\policies (which > folder: C:\Windows\sysvol\sysvol\JOHN.LOCAL\policies (while where I just   That's perfectly ok - JOHN.LOCAL in fact is a symlink pointing to "domain".   > all objects as follows: > -Move FROM: C:\Windows\sysvol\domain\policies > -Move TO: C:\Windows\sysvol\sysvol\JOHN.LOCAL\policies   No.  
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 19th, 2014 4:08am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics