GPMC.msc Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have appropriate permissions to access the item
Hi Im running through a walkthrough for setting up NAP in a test lab (see link below). I am using VMWare Workstation on a bridged network to a home network. Link: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ac38e5bb-18ce-40cb-8e59-188f7a198897&displaylang=en I'm attempting to follow the instructions as much as possible, the main difference i have made is thati am using TWO Windows 2008 Server installs instead of Windows 2003. The error i am getting is when i am attempting to run GPMC.msc, UAC pops up asking for credentials i click continue andi get the error 'Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have appropriate permission to access the item.' The user i am logged on as is User 1, which is a member of the Domain admins group on NPS1. I can go through the Server manager console and get to the features there, but i get another problem when i attempt to add the AD Group 'NAP Client Computers' as instructed in the guide, I can find the group, but when i click on add the window closes but does not show the group has been added. The version i am running is Evaluation Version build 6001. Is this a bug or is there some stupid thing that i have to do to give domain admins, admin permissions?! Many Thanks T
April 29th, 2008 11:03pm

Hi Chav, Can you verify that the feature has been added? Start -> Administrative Tools -> Server Manager In the left pane, click Features. Verify that you see "Group Policy Management" - if not, click Add Features, select it and click Install. I hope this helps. Stefanie
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 30th, 2008 10:06pm

Hi Stefanie it was the first thing i checked, GPM was definately installed. However i did notice in the logs an error message about a identical SID. So i am going to look into this and see if this has caused the issue Thanks for the reply, i will post my findings. Butcher
May 3rd, 2008 12:39am

Hi, After taking my base install of Windows Server 2008 and running sysprep on it, then creating the new VMs and setting this up in exactly the same way this issue is still occurring This is such an annoying issue and i am about to doa company wide rollout of Windows Server 2008. Butcher
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 15th, 2008 9:50pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics