GB Network Adapter connects are 100mbps
Hi I am running an Intel Storage Server SSR212MC2 w/ Windows Server 2008 Enterprise build 6001. I have two Intel PRO/1000 EB Network Connection w/ I/O Acceleration, NIC cards on the system. I have fully updated drivers on the OS and on the cards and under the card properties they are listed as having 1000 mbps speeds. But in Network Sharing Center when I view the status of either of the cards they are shown as only connected at 100 mbps. They are both connected to the same GBswitch as multiple other computers on the network, and this is the only one that shows it connected at a slower speed. Has anyone run into this error before, or have any troubleshooting steps to resolve this? Thanks for any help John
May 1st, 2008 4:08pm

Hi John, By default, when the network adapter is set to "Auto speed/Auto Duplex" in the properties, whether or not your network adapter really works on 10 Gigabit still depends on the network cable and the switch. As you descript, the network status in the "Network and Sharing Center" shows using 100Mbps speed. As the information is set to get auto, I suspect the info is provided by your network cable or switch. Here is some suggestion, just for your reference. 1. The default setting "speed & duplex" is "Auto" and it's OK for general situation. In the real world, you might not reach the real speed. If you feel the figure is not correct. We may set it manually as followed: a. Open Network adaptor properties b. Select Advanced tab c. Select "Speed & Duplex", then in the drop down list at right, select the speed that matches other NIC and switch port configuration Ex. if your NICs are 100M Full Duplex and the Switch is configured so, please select "100Mbps/Full Duplex" instead of "Auto". 2. The transfer speed depends not only on Network Adapter, but also switch, cables etc. Personally, I would like to suggest that you confirm if all the hardware devices support the 1000bps speed. Especially, please check the cable in the issue. Hope it helps.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 2nd, 2008 10:59am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics