Fully Manage Hyper-V 2012 R2 Replica with SCVMM 2012 R2?
Is it possible to fully manage Hyper-V Replica using SCVMM 2012 R2 for Hyper-V 2012 R2 hosts?  The lack of documentation and other search results lead me to believe it is NOT possible.
December 13th, 2013 11:15pm

Does anyone have any insight into the future of SCVMM, it appears the only way to manage Hyper-V replica is through a combination of Azure HRM/Hyper-V snap-in/SCVMM/SCORCH.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 16th, 2013 4:54am

Hyper-V Recovery manager(HRM) is the way for managing Hyper-V 2012 R2 hosts via SCVMM for Hyper-V Replica.

Are you looking for any specific operations related to Hyper-V Replica via SCVMM?

December 16th, 2013 10:18am

Hyper-V Recovery manager(HRM) is the way for managing Hyper-V 2012 R2 hosts via SCVMM for Hyper-V Replica.

Are you looking for any specific operations related to Hyper-V Replica via SCVMM?

The way I see it SCVMM is positioned as the ultimate management tool for the Hyper-V virtualization platform.  With that said everything I can do in the native Hyper-V snap-in I should be able to accomplish in SCVMM today without having to subscribe to the Azure HRM service.

I understand that the Azure HRM service provides more than just configuration settings for Hyper-V replica such as recovery plans but I can use Orchestrator for that.  It would be nice if the product team provided all of the features and functionality inside of SCVMM that is exposed through the native Hyper-V snap-in.

Thanks!

December 16th, 2013 4:03pm

Thx for the feedback Jon.

Currently, VMM's role in the context of Hyper-V Replica, is to expose the metadata to the HVR service in Azure, where the HVR service will act as the orchestrator for DR processes.

In general, for managing Hyper-V Replica (stand-alone and/or clusters), you don't need VMM as everything is happening at a lower level. 

-kn

December 16th, 2013 5:35pm

Thank you for your response Kristian.  SCVMM is marketed and positioned as the end all be all management tool for the Microsoft visualization platform, Hyper-V.  As such the product should expose all Hyper-V configuration options just as the native Hyper-V snap-in.  I hope the Microsoft team takes this feedback into consideration.  I am performing a Hyper-V POC in which Microsoft could win a 500 Hyper-V host deployment.  Having all management options available through one interface certainly plays a role in the decision making process (Hyper-V vs. VMWare) in environments or scale.

December 17th, 2013 6:13am

You are spot on that SCVMM needs to be expanded to support all the functionality within Hyper-V. Currently Hyper-V enterprise management requires a rather muddled mix of tools, using Hyper-V manager, SCVMM, SC App controller and failover cluster manager. 

I would suggest to MS to stop adding features and start pulling all functionality into a single pane of glass.

January 10th, 2014 11:53am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics