Full fully qualifed domain address not resolving

Hello

I currently have a 2008 AD set up (1 Domain controller, a VM).  originally, i set up the Site in the AD as mysite.local and everything worked. i could type

ping computername.mysite.local

and windows would find the machine

then with out me actively messing in the AD configurations, it (my network) changed to where if i typed

ping computername.mysite.local 

it no longer works but if i type

ping computer.mysite  

it works fine.  I currently have an application (ArcGIS WebAdaptor) that forces the domain name to .local and it cause the thing to not work.

I have root hints set up.  Does anyone know, based off the info i told, places to look for what might be causing the issue?

Even if you can tell me the name of what the ".local" is in my fully qualified domain name is that will help in my google efforts (everything i seem to find is for server 2003)

Thanks!

August 29th, 2015 8:49pm

To check the DNS resolution, you need to use NSlookup. You can read more about it here: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/29184.nslookup-for-beginners.aspx

This utility will let you know the answer of your DNS server.

Please also make sure that:

• Your DC/DNS server hosts a zone named mysite.local
  • Your DC DNS records are properly registered in mysite.local and _msdcs.mysite.local DNS zones. If not then please follow the recommendations for IP settings I shared here and run ipconfig /registerdns (Of course, make sure that your DNS zones accept dynamic DNS updates first)
  • Make sure that your member server/client points to your DC as primary DNS server

Once done, try again.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 30th, 2015 10:57am

Even if you can tell me the name of what the ".local" is in my fully qualified domain name is that will help in my google efforts (everything i seem to find is for server 2003)

.local is the DNS suffix that you specified when you created your AD. At the present time, the .local domain name is not registered on the Internet.

I would agree with the steps given above, follow the steps and make sure DNS is configured correctly, then try again.

Regards,

Eth

August 31st, 2015 1:12am

Hi,

Just checking in to see if above information was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Thanks,

Regards,

Eth

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 3rd, 2015 11:39am

Hi,

I'm marking the reply as answer as there has been no update for a couple of days.

If you come back to find it doesn't work for you, please reply to us and unmark the answer.

Regards,

Eth

September 7th, 2015 12:15am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics