Freeing up space on Server 2003 C: drive
I have an older 2003 server that does file and print sharing and is starting to get low on disk space on the C: drive. I have read posts about removing the hidden files $kbxxx files from c:\windows, deleting the c:\windows\softwaredistribution folder, deleting the files inside the ie7updates folder, and deleting kbXX.log files from c:\windows. Does anyone have any comments on deleting these files? Also could you suggest any other files to remove as well? I have looked in C:\WINDOWS\system32\LogFiles and they are pretty small. Thanks for any help.
August 11th, 2010 9:30pm

are you sharing files from your c drive? do the shares take up the majority of space on the drive? if so i suggest adding another drive and moving the shares.I hope this information answered your question or was helpful.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 11th, 2010 9:41pm

No, all of the shared files are on a separate drive. I tried to install most of the additional programs on the E: drive as well.
August 11th, 2010 9:48pm

ok, one thing you can do is export (and put somewhere else) and clear the event logs. you can do this using event viewer - click on log and action menuI hope this information answered your question or was helpful.
August 11th, 2010 9:59pm

Hello, all what you have listed is possible, don't delete the $hfmig$ folder. Also be sure that none of the installed updates has to be uninstalled, after deleting them this is not longer possible or you store them into a different locatio and copy back if needed. Did you thought about moving the pagefile to another disk and only leave small one for the minidump?Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
August 11th, 2010 11:10pm

Here are several general steps we can do to free disk space. 1. Run Disk cleanup to remove temp files. 2. Disable Hibernate if it is enabled. 3. Move Paging file to another partition. 4. Disable system restore (not recommended as it is a server system) 5. Remove installed programs and install them to another partition. Note: For all folders start with $ in c:\windows folder, they are related to updates. After deleting these folders, you will not able to remove to repair these updates. Shaon Shan| TechNet Subscriber Support in forum| If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com
August 12th, 2010 9:00am

you can also delete any user profiles that aren't being used any longerI hope this information answered your question or was helpful.
August 12th, 2010 12:39pm

There are many ways to free up disk space, see this article how to free up space on Server 2003
May 14th, 2011 3:55pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics