Force disconnection of users on a network share - WS 2003
I have varying backup and maintenance tasks that run at 10:00 PM. I need a particular network share to be unlocked, i.e., no users connected at 10:00. I have communicated to the appropriate staff (many in number) that they need to be exiting this particular network-based program, but since I'm still not getting 100% compliance, and I MUST have the backups taking place successfully, I need to add some teeth to my warnings about this. Is there a way to enforce a kick-out script or group policy object that will kick everyone out of this particular network share at 9:55 PM? This is on Windows Server 2003 Standard R2 x64 I found help that allows me to force domain computers to force the console user to log out, and while I may resort to this tactic after more warnings, I'd like to leave this approach as a last resort. Thanks for any help you can provide! MW
April 7th, 2010 8:14pm

Hello, You can set an auto reboot of server, then start backup afterwards or you can set logon hrs for users say 7:00AM -3:00AM start your backup at 3:15 ..Then use GPO to apply "Microsoft Network Server: Disconnectclients when logon hours expire" (Computer settings -> Securitysettings-> Local policy->Security options)Isaac Oben MCITP:EA, MCSE
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 7th, 2010 8:47pm

Hello, You can set an auto reboot of server, Isaac Oben MCITP:EA, MCSE This idea is a possible alternative. I am aware of a few ways to schedule the automatic reboot, but would you mind taking 2 more minutes to identify the method you would recommend for doing this? Thus far, I am leaning on using task scheduler to run the shutdown command with the appropriate paramaters. Thanks again, MW
April 7th, 2010 9:17pm

A reboot probably won't work. With Windows 2000 and higher the auto reconnect in the client redirector is pretty good, users that leave their computers on over night should automatically reconnect once the server comes back up. Your best bet is to disable/remove the share or permissions on the share, backup the information locally, then recreate the share or its permissions after the back. If backing up via the share you must choose the change permissions options and limit it to just the backup user id. You can use the net share command provided on Windows 2003. Or you can find and download the RMTShare utility from Microsoft. Both utilities can do what you want. Just write some simple batch files to make the changes as needed before and after the backup completes. Another option would be stop or pause the server service, but this affects all shares on the server.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 7th, 2010 10:06pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics