Force Windows 7 to display BuildLab value on desktop
How can I force Windows 7 to display BuildLab or even BuildLabEx value on my desktop instead of displaying just CurrentBuildNumber ? Changing the registry value of [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop] "PaintDesktopVersion"=dword:00000001 from 0 to 1 will display just CurrentBuild (7600) and I'd like BuildLab (7600.win7_gdr.100618-1621) or even BuildLabEx (7600.16617.x86fre.win7_gdr.100618-1621) to be displayed. Now it looks like this: Windows 7 Build 7600 and it would be nice to look like Windows XP: Windows 7 Enterprise Build 7600.win7_gdr.100618-1621
October 22nd, 2010 7:26am

Hi, In Windows Vista and Windows 7, the PaintDesktopVersion value only can control the Build to display by default. After searching from the Internet, I find that you may display the BuildLab and BuildLabEx value on right bottom of the desktop via a third party solution. Since this method is not verified and not supported by Microsoft, you need to be responsible for the customization yourself. Show Your Desired Text on Desktop by Customizing Windows Vista & 7 Build Number http://www.askvg.com/show-your-desired-text-on-desktop-by-customizing-windows-vista-build-number/ Note 1: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information. Note 2: The third-party products discussed here are manufactured by companies that are independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding these products' performance or reliability. According to this article, you may try to modify the “%ws Build%ws” to “%ws BuildLab%ws” or “%ws BuildLabEx%ws”. If it does not work, you may also modify it to the value of BuildLab or BuildLabEx directly. For further assistance, please refer to Windows 7 IT Pro Forum below: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/category/w7itpro Regards,Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 25th, 2010 6:04am

Using resource hacker on user32.dll.mui doesn't work for this on my Windows 7 rig. However I was able to change the bottom desktop text to the BuildLab by copying that string to the CurrentBuildNumber in the registry located here: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion However I can't seem to find the registry key to allow me to change the Windows 7 text. Does anyone know where the key is as I would like it to say Windows 7 Ultimate. Thanks for any help.
February 1st, 2011 12:32am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics