Force Disconnect of a Mapped Drive After a Specified Interval
I'm looking for a way to do force mapped drive sessions to disconnect from Windows Server 2008 after a specified interval. Most clients will be Windows XP. I've seen some things that almost do what I want (on the server, like editing autodisconnect in the registry or using net config server /autodisconnect:30 for a 30 minute timeout), but it appears that this doesn't cause a 'real' disconnect-in other words, the user will see the drive with a red x through it in their Windows explorer, and double clicking it will let them re-connect, without being prompted for a userid or password. Our problem is that we have some 'public' machines in our labs, and users aren't always diligent about disconnecting a mapped drive when they're done. This means anyone can walk up afterward and have access, so we'd like to force a disconnect periodically (maybe every hour or 2). Any suggestions?
November 2nd, 2010 4:46pm

Hi, What I thought that force user account logoff from public machine after a period of inactivity (like 1 or 2 hours that you want)is more easier for you to achieve the goal : How To Force Users to Quit Programs and Log Off After a Period of Inactivity in Windows XP http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314999 If these public computers are domain members then you can deploy it via group policy : Customizing the Desktop http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc938799.aspx Thanks. Tiger Li TechNet Subscriber Support in forum If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 2nd, 2010 11:02pm

The resource kit does a nice job of this. It seems like a potentially workable solution, we'll see if my management agrees... Thanks!
November 3rd, 2010 1:45pm

Hi, If there is any update on this issue, please feel free to let us know. We are looking forward to your reply. Thanks. Tiger Li TechNet Subscriber Support in forum If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.comPlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 8th, 2010 8:19pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics