For KMS clients to be activated, do you have to join them to the domain or they can be activated if they are on the same subnet as KMS host, as workgroup clients?
Thanks in advance
January 4th, 2009 6:22pm

Hello Undying Lament,KMS clients do no thave to be joined to the domain, workgroup clients will be activated.Thanks, Darrell Gorter[MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 4th, 2009 7:42pm

Thanks. If you could point me to a Microsoft article it would be really helpful.
January 5th, 2009 2:10pm

Volume Activation 2.0 Deployment Guide http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc303280.aspx Tim Quan - MSFT
January 6th, 2009 6:03am

but it doesn't mention in the article whether i have to be joined to the domain or not in order for my windows to be activated.
January 6th, 2009 5:26pm

Hello Undying Lament,This document points out how examples of configuration for workgroup machines.http://download.microsoft.com/download/c/3/8/c3815ed7-aee7-4435-802b-8e855d549154/VolumeActivation2.0Step-By-StepGuide.docPage 33For workgroup computers, DNS auto-discovery of KMS requires that the DNS zone corresponding to either the primary DNS suffix of the computer or the DNS domain name assigned by DHCP (option 15 per RFC 2132) contain the SRV resource record for a KMS.Page 27Client computers connect to KMS host for activation information using anonymous RPC over TCP using default port 1688.This port information can be configured. The connection is anonymous, enabling workgroup computers to communicate with the KMS host. The firewall and the router network may need to be configured to pass communications for the TCP port that will be used.I don't see anything that specifcally states that you have to be joined to domain to KMS activate nor do I see anything specifically stating that workgroup machines work or do not work as KMS clients. I have activated KMS machine in a workgroup. The documentation points out some examples of workgroup machines that may need additional configuation.Thanks, Darrell Gorter[MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
January 6th, 2009 9:00pm

They don't need to be joined but you need to assign the KMS host manually to them.
February 10th, 2009 6:38pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics