Folder redirection of My Docs
Hello, is it normal that MY Documents folder re-direction cause a general random slow down when opening documents either on the desktop or on the network. Correct me if I am wrong but when My Docs redirection is enabled, every doc on the Desktop is also part of the folder re-direction and it is actually being run on the network share on the server all the time. ( I am assuming that Offline Files are disabled since it is a pc always connected to the network ) what is the ideal setup in this situation pls
November 23rd, 2010 4:00pm

Hello, didn't realize until now. Which OS version do you use, with SP/patch level? It is a normal share where the files are stored and should open as on any other share. Make sure no DNS misconfiguration exists, only domain DNS servers must be used on the domain machines NIC, none else like the ISP for example.Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 23rd, 2010 4:27pm

OS Vista SP level ( sorry not sure, need to check, is that crucial ? ) Yes folder is redirected to a normal share where there are other shares of other users which open as normal Dns is set correctly with only that of the DC's dns Issue is caused by folder redirection which is causing a delay when opening files when the My docs is redirected and a file is opened from the Desktop, does the file opens from the local machine or from the network share ? What else could cause such a performance issue.
November 23rd, 2010 5:30pm

Hi, Offline Files is automatically enabled when setup Folder Redirection. Thus the performance should be the same as access a network folder (with Offline Files enabled). The first time you access it, it will take time to connect to the network folder and download files to local cache, then the next time you access the same file, it should be quicker as it is loaded from local. As the redirected folders are saved on normal share, when the load of network is heavy, it will affect the performance you first time access redirected folders.Shaon Shan| TechNet Subscriber Support in forum| If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com
November 29th, 2010 9:18pm

so once folder redirection has ben setup and all files have synched you should no notice ant performance degradation ?
November 30th, 2010 1:42am

Seems due to an error my reply is missing. My bad that I provided an incorrect answer. It will keep access the redirected files until it goes offline. You can config the Slow Link Speed group policy to let the system get into offline mode when connection speed is low.Shaon Shan| TechNet Subscriber Support in forum| If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com
December 5th, 2010 1:03am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics