Folder redirection cannot redirect application data
We have a Windows 2003 DC and Windows XP as my client machines. We have implimented roaming profile. I created a new user account in an OU with no other policy applying on the OU only 1 Group policy with folder redirection. When I try to use Office it runs the setup everytime. I have checked in RSOP.msc the policy is applying. I have checked on the share (for application data) the folder is getting created. There are no errors in the event log. If I remove the policy (leaving the roaming profile enabled)then everything works fine. If I re-enable the policy after removing it once then the policy works fine. I have checked the fdeploy.log, userenv.log and the MPS reports. Was not able to find anything useful. The same issue happens with all the users and computers in my domain. Yes If I remove the policy then it works fine but if I apply the policy back then also everything works fine. Here is the sequence of steps: Policy applied --> nothing worksPolicy removed --> Works perfect.Re-apply policy --> Everything keeps working. So I don't think there is anything wrong in the policy application. Please suggest what should be done?
June 16th, 2009 12:25pm

Hello,if i understand you correct, Office tries to reinstall/setup every time with the new policy in place? With a new user and you start office there is always a first setup for the new user. Or what do you mean with the office part?Folder redirection shouldn't have any issue about using applications.Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 16th, 2009 1:47pm

The office setup runs when the new user logs in for the first time. Like it is suppose to but after that the setup should not come up but it does. The main issue I m facing is with the policy in place for application data the office setup runs everytime I try to run any of the office applications but if I remove the policy once and login everything works fine. After removing the policy and logging in if Ire apply the policythen everything works fine.
June 16th, 2009 2:55pm

Hi, Is there any other program which cannot work when policy applied? If only Office encountered problem, we need to change Office configuration to solve this issue. I suggest that you initial a new post in the Office Discussion Groups to get further support there. They are the best resource for Office related problems. For your convenience, I have list the link as followed. Office Discussion Groups http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/flyoutoverview.mspx Thanks. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
June 19th, 2009 9:28am

As I have mentioned earlier in the post. The app data folder is not getting redirected which is causing problems with Microsoft Office. If we can have a sucessful redirection of App data in the first login then the issues with Office and oher application wouldbe fixed. So the people in Office forums would not be able to help as this issue is with GPO or Windows user profiles.
June 22nd, 2009 4:34pm

Hi, If this issue was caused by Folder Redirection not applying, please try the steps below to enhance GP processing. Create or edit a GPO for client machines. 1. Create or edit a GPO for client machine and enable the following settings. Navigate to [Computer Configuration/ Policies / Administrative Templates / System / Group Policy] Double-click [Folder Redirection Policy Processing] and set the properties to enable: -"Allow processing across a slow network connection" -"process even if the Group Policy objects have not changed" Change Background priority to Normal. 2. Disable Fast Logon. Navigate to: [Computer Configuration/ Policies / Administrative Templates / System /Logon] Enable "Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon". Thanks. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
June 23rd, 2009 8:32am

Tried the above mentioned steps but did not help. Any other suggestion please.
June 24th, 2009 12:15pm

Hi, Please help to collect Userenv log on problematic clients for troubleshooting. Use Registry Editor to add or to modify the following registry entry: Subkey: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon Entry: UserEnvDebugLevel Type: REG_DWORD Value data: 0x00030002 (Hexadecimal) After the errors appear, find %Systemroot%\Debug\UserMode\Userenv.log file, ZIP it and use Windows Live SkyDrive (http://www.skydrive.live.com/) to upload the file and then give us the download address. Thanks. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
June 25th, 2009 3:58am

For what it's worth, I remember reading somewhere in the documentation that although AppData may be redirected, the sub folders are not necessarily redirected. This extends beyond the obvious exceptions of AppData\Local and AppData\LocalLow. These folders seem to be limited to some of the ones in %UserProfile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows, on my domain.
June 25th, 2009 4:43am

I have checked the userenv log...Fdeploy.log and the MPS reports there is nothing that can be useful.
June 25th, 2009 10:37am

This could be the issue but what interests me is when I remove the policy and (I have roaming profile for the users) let the user login so that the roaming profile would take effect, after the sucessful login and log off when I reapply the policy then everything is working fine.Something that I have noticed is when the policy is applied the first time and the user logs in the app data folder is created at the redirected server location.
June 25th, 2009 10:42am

Don't know if you are still having an issue, but I think I might have some ideas as to what's happening. What I am finding is that when you redirect the appdata folder, when you log in for the first time, not all the registry entries are getting created for some reason, which is why it is causing that to happen. Then, when you remove the redirection, it can create the folders it needs to work. Then, when you put the policy in place, it continues to work because the registry entries are there so it's happy. I'm having a similar issue, which is how I came across this this post. The issue I'm having is I'm trying to redirect my Application Data folder (xp) and when I log in to a different computer with an existing user and try to start outlook (or any office app) it runs the first time installer and fails, with entries in the event log: Detection of product '{90110409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}', feature 'OutlookUserData', component '{8ADD2C9C-C8B7-11D1-9C67-0000F81F1B38}' failed. The resource 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Outlook\UserData' does not exist. and Detection of product '{90110409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}', feature 'OfficeUserData', component '{4A31E933-6F67-11D2-AAA2-00A0C90F57B0}' failed. The resource 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ODBC\ODBC.INI\MS Access Database\' does not exist. It's not a rights issue, because I made the user a local admin on the box and it doesn't make a difference. Running reg mon and file mon show nothing, so I'm at a loss. I tried creating the UserData value, and it seemed to help it get past the problem, but I'd rather figure out why it's not creating what it needs to, because I'm sure it won't be limited to this, and I'm sure I'll get bit by something else in the future. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
July 1st, 2010 12:34am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics