Fix security on AD Objects
I have some very odd security settings that have been set on some of the user/computer objects in AD. Is it safe to reset all the objects in thedomain to the defaults using dsacls.exe?Exampledsacls.exe DC=Microsoft,DC=Com /s /thttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/281146
March 24th, 2009 7:36pm

Hi, It should be safe. However, you may need to re-add some permissions after you reset the default permission on the domain. For example, Exchange permissions may need to be re-added with Exchanges version domain or forestprep. As a result, I suggest that you can just delete the unnecessary permission for the objects. Thanks.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 26th, 2009 1:13pm

Well the tool reset permissions back to the default for the object based on the AD schema so shoultnt that have been updated when Exchange was installed? I ran a few tests on specific users, and OU's and it seemed to work great.
March 27th, 2009 1:38am

Hi, It should work properly. However, we ever encountered an issue that we needed to re-add Exchange permissions after we reset the default permission on the domain. It is always recommended that you perform a full backup before resetting the permissions on a production server.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 30th, 2009 10:48am

Thanks,The tool ran ok, but for some reason missed some accounts. On those accounts I had to manually go in to the security tab in AD users & computers go to advanced and click the default button. After doing that Exchange started working again for them.Odd that the tool would miss some accounts.
March 30th, 2009 11:09pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics