Firewalls
I'm looking for an alternative to ZoneAlarm and Windows Firewall. I had been using the free version of Zonealarm for years and then suddenly I began having problems accessing my printer which is connect to another PC on my home LAN. So I switches to Windows Firewall which removed the problem I experience with printing, but I'm not 100% confident in the effectiveness of this firewall. Does anyone know of a free firewall that is easy to use, is strong and is maintained?
April 8th, 2008 10:23pm

Hi, Based on my experience, Windows Firewall in Windows server 2008 and Vista is competent at protecting our system from malware and malicious attack. The new Windows Firewall is a stateful host-based firewall that allows or blocks network traffic according to its configuration and the applications that are currently running to provide a level of protection from malicious users and programs on a network. The new Windows Firewall in Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 has the following enhancements over the current Windows Firewall in Windows previous version: Supports both incoming and outgoing traffic New Microsoft Management Console (MMC) snap-in for graphical user interface (GUI) configuration Firewall filtering and Internet Protocol security (IPsec) protection settings are integrated Exceptions can be configured for Active Directory directory service accounts and groups, source and destination IP addresses, IP protocol number, source and destination Transmission Control Protocol (TCP) and User Datagram Protocol (UDP) ports, all or multiple TCP or UDP ports, specific types of interfaces, Internet Control Message Protocol (ICMP) and ICMP for IPv6 (ICMPv6) traffic by Type and Code, and for services For more features and improvements about Firewall in Windows Vista and Windows server 2008, please refer to the following articles: Windows Firewall http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/network/bb545423.aspx For other free firewalls, you may obtain the comments from others that are interested in this topic. I hope this helps. Best wishes --------------Morgan Che
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 9th, 2008 2:01pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics