Firewall Service cannot start - access denied
Hello! I have Windows 2008 R2 standard server with SQL 2008 and Configuration Management system installed. This is virtual vmware server. After updates released 9.8.2011, inbound network connectivity to this server does not work because firewall service is not running. Outbound connection from this server works fine. Error messages: Windows could not start the Windows Firewall on Local Computer. Error code 5. and The Windows Firewall service terminated with spesific error Access is denied. I already did some fixes, but none of them solved the problem: netsh winsock reset secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\inf\defltbase.inf /db defltbase.sdb /verbosem (this resets security permission of entire Windows OS) service is running with Local Service permission Windows Firewall Authorization Driver works propertly In registery key CurrentControlSet\services\mpssvc has been added NT Service\mpssvc account with full control Please help!
September 9th, 2011 5:52am

Please help! Any ideas? Next I have in mind, to start this virtual machine from 2008 R2 installation media, and try to recover or reinstall it.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 10th, 2011 6:16am

I pull this up once again, if there would be any MVP starting his week at the office :) I have 2 other options in mind, before re-installing the system: - to renew WMI by deleting wbem\repository - to re-join server do domain What do you guys thing?
September 12th, 2011 1:48am

I´ve been fighting with this server whole evening. These has been tried not: - group policy with firewall service and rules has been applied - same GPO with firewall has been disabled - WMI has been rebuild - server has been dropped from domain to workgroup - service still not starting - server has been joined to domain again, no change
September 12th, 2011 2:11pm

I´m aware of this article and I replaced 3 registery paths with copies I got from server where Firewall service works fine: http://blogs.technet.com/b/networking/archive/2011/06/08/the-windows-firewall-service-fails-to-start-introduction.aspx
September 13th, 2011 4:14am

Just pulling this up once again. After I copied registery keys from other server, even Base Filtering Engine fails to start now because of access denied. Local Service account is used to start this service, as it should by default.
September 15th, 2011 10:11am

Anyone? Please help! I tried 2 more things: - I started server in restore mode command promt and tried to do sfc /scannow with proper windir and winboot options. - I tried to repair WMI with wmimgmt.exe No help! Here are 3 important logs: Event 7023, WMI Driver service terminated, access is denied Event 7024, Windows Firewall service terminated, access is denied Event 10009, DistributedCOM cannot be found. Not installed or corrupted. You can install or repair the component.
September 28th, 2011 8:50am

I got firewall service up by resetting security inheritance of firewall registery key. Still, WMI driver service does not come up, and the bigger issue I have, I cannot join this machine back to domain. I have now DistributedCOM Event 10009 happening all the time. How can I reset the operating system settings by the best way?
October 4th, 2011 10:01am

Now I have another server with exact same situation...
November 23rd, 2011 7:29am

above link has been moved here http://winplat.net/post/2011/10/07/Troubleshooting-for-Services-issue-on-Windows-2008-R2.aspx
December 10th, 2011 3:32pm

I needed the permission for Epoch2 as well. Thank you for documenting this. After adding the additional step for key on Epoch2 the firewall started right up again.
July 27th, 2012 8:25am

Thanks, the link you refer to helped me quite a bit. I took shortcuts and just gave the "Everyone" account the "Full Control" and "Read" permission on all of the keys listed, but it seems to have fixed the problem. Very important to note is that in my case, the problem was initially caused by a virus - getting rid of the virus is of course top priority. Windows Security Essentials could remove the virus, but it DID NOT detect the virus during quick scans, I had to do a full scan before it found the virus. My PC was Win7 Ultimate 64-bit.
November 16th, 2012 3:08pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics