Finding bad shell context menu
Hi Guys, Running Windows 2003 Terminal Server. Right clicking on any file is creating a 30 second wait for the context menu to show. Same with opening the file type. It seems to be happening on all file types, specifically PDF. So far I have: Disabled all non-Microsoft shellsRun sfc /scannowremove/re-installed programsRe-registered default shell dll's I still have the same issue. I am 100% certain it is one of the shells/context menus. I've run processmon and can't find anything out of the ordinary. Suggestions? At my wits end here.
April 23rd, 2012 8:14am

Bump. Really need some help with this. Borderline having to re-provision the server.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 23rd, 2012 5:07pm

Have you tried creating a new user and log in with the new account to see if the issue remains? If so, then you do have a "computer" issue; if not, you have a user profile issue which can be easier to resolve. You mentioned that you "Disabled all non-Microsoft shells." What non-MSFT shells do you have installed on a server?
April 23rd, 2012 6:49pm

I'm probably using the wrong terminology. I disabled the non-microsoft context menus.
April 23rd, 2012 7:06pm

I think I've tracked it down to bad profiles. New profiles don't seem to have the issue.
April 23rd, 2012 7:24pm

The likely cause for the issue mentioned in your initial post would be, bad or old user profiles ( which you have already mentioned), abruptly terminated TS sessions and active registry connections to files even though user is logged off. I have personally seen such issues in our environment and UPHC has helped a lot. I would suggest you to install "User Profile Hive Cleanup Service" on your 2003 TS. http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=6676 The User Profile Hive Cleanup service helps to ensure user sessions are completely terminated when a user logs off. System processes and applications occasionally maintain connections to registry keys in the user profile after a user logs off. In those cases the user session is prevented from completely ending. P.S. You just have to install UPHClean-Setup.msi on TS which will start working immediately. no need to do any settings and Server reboot is also not needed.A UNIVERSE without WINDOWS is CHAOS ! This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights. About Me !!!
April 23rd, 2012 10:25pm

The best way would be using the process monitor and Finding out the issue.The most important thing is you should use filter and only track "Explorer.exe" which will eventually show you everything. http://www.arabitpro.com
April 24th, 2012 2:59am

Thanks for the feedback. The TS server already has User Hive Profile Cleanup tool installed and working correctly. The TS has been running for about 3 years with no issue until now. I've also run process monitor on explorer.exe, this was one of the first things I did. However, right clicking on a file gives a few hundred reg entries. I checked half a dozen, but there was nothing out of the ordinary. Basically, new profiles have fixed the issue... You'd like it would be something else. I'm at a loss as to why it's the profiles. If someone could explain that a little more? Something to do with their reg hive being corrupt?
April 24th, 2012 5:38am

Just letting you know that new profiles did not fix this... are there any more ideas? I think I'm at the point where I will move the users to a 2008 R2 TS server as this problem has eaten up so much time. In Summary I've done the following: Removed all shell context menus (3rd party)Created new profiles for usersRemoved all affected programs from the server (Adobe, FoxIT etc)Run sfc /scannow Right clicking on any file takes 30 seconds or so to show the context menu. Any other suggestions?
April 29th, 2012 5:49pm

1) have you tried this tool ? http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shell_menu_view.html 2) Do a clean boot and check the behavior. http://www.arabitpro.com
April 30th, 2012 2:17am

I have used that tool and disabled anything that is not Microsoft. Same issue. Will try the clean boot.
May 1st, 2012 5:36am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics