Filtering in Report Builder 3.0?

I am creating custom reports from TFS data in Report Builder 3.0. What I am trying to do is make it possible to run the report and then filter on something and only display those results. For example.. I have created a report with Project Name, Deployment Dates.

The report returns all the project names with a particular type of work item with a planned release date. I would like to be able to drop down and select a particular project name and only display results from that project. By default, I do want all the projects to display but want the possibility to select a specific project.

Can someone walk me through how this would be done?

Do I go to dataset properties of the project name field and add an expression under the filters section?Do I also need a parameter?

Thanks for any help!

August 20th, 2015 9:50am

Hi AutfsAdmin,

Basically you have to create a  project parameter  and then pass the parameter either as a filter in the dataset query

or in whole the data set filter.

The below links will help you for sure :)

http://arcanecode.com/2010/07/12/adding-filter-parameters-to-sql-server-2008-reporting-services-reports/

http://www.sqlchick.com/entries/2012/1/8/relating-parameters-filters-in-sql-server-reporting-services.html

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 20th, 2015 10:25am

Hi AUtfsAdmin,

According to your description, when you run the report, you want the report to display all project name by default. And you want to filter report by selecting a specific project name, right?

In Reporting Services, a report parameter provides a way to choose report data, connect related reports together, and vary the report presentation. We can provide a default value and a list of available values, and the user can change the selection.

In your scenario, since you want the report to display all project name by default, you need to specify default values for the parameter. Please refer to steps below:

1. Create a report parameter, open Report Parameter Properties, select Allow multiple values option in General tab.
  2. Specify available values in Available Values tab and default values for the parameter in Default Values tab. 
  3. Open Dataset Properties, on Filter tab, add an condition based on report parameter values.

Reference:
Add a multi-value parameter to a Report

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best regards,
Qiuyun Yu

August 20th, 2015 9:43pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics