Files from BranchCache share are being automatically downloaded to clients.
I have a windows server 2012 r2 server which is being used to test out BranchCache. I currently have 4 clients that are set up for Distributed Cache, two windows 7 x64, and two windows 8.1 x64. Whenever any of the clients double click on the mapped file share, the files within start being dumped to offline files. I haven't set up for automatically downloading offline files so i'm not sure what is going on.
August 26th, 2015 6:38pm

Hi,

Isn't it the behavior of using Distributed Cache mode? Clients will cache accessed files so that next time others could access the offline version instead of accessing it via network.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 27th, 2015 8:10am

Hi,

Isn't it the behavior of using Distributed Cache mode? Clients will cache accessed files so that next time others could access the offline version instead of accessing it via network.

The files aren't being displayed with the BranchCache command (netsh branchcache show status all). And BranchCache is only supposed to cache files that you open or download. The problem i am facing is that my offline files in Sync Center are being filled with files from the BranchCache share automatically when i open the share, and not when i open or download a file manually.
August 27th, 2015 9:46am

Hi,

Thank you for clarify.

As you said even with the option "All files and programs that users open from the share are automatically available offline", it should still cache opened files only. 

Please have a try on this command. It should change the options to "enable BranchCache" and "Only the files and programs that users specify are available offline."

net share <sharename> /cache:BranchCache

Also please check if this issue occurs on each client. Is there any application will read all files inside the shared folder (like an antivirus application)?

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 27th, 2015 11:39pm

Hi,

Thank you for clarify.

As you said even with the option "All files and programs that users open from the share are automatically available offline", it should still cache opened files only. 

Please have a try on this command. It should change the options to "enable BranchCache" and "Only the files and programs that users specify are available offline."

net share <sharename> /cache:BranchCache

Also please check if this issue occurs on each client. Is there any application will read all files inside the shared folder (like an antivirus applica

August 28th, 2015 12:40pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics