Files are appearing then disappearing when a jpg file is created from Adobe Acrobat 8 to a network drive.
We have a few users who just started having this problem since the first of the year. They use Adobe Acrobat 8 to convert a .pdf file to a .jpg and save it directly to a network drive. I can watch as the .jpg gets (or tries to get) written the mapped network drive, and also watch it disappear; within a second or two of saving it's gone. This is sporadic, doesn't happen every time and usually after enough attempts it finally stays saved (11 attempts and 15 minutes later). Or, saving it to the local drive will work. The network share is on an updated Server 2008 R2 Standard, SAN environment running NFS, DFS, and replicating to a second identical SAN. We've checked AD and file permissions, and all are fine. The users are on updated XP Pro SP3 machines. We've also checked network traffic and switches during one instance and didn't find anything. Any ideas?
February 4th, 2011 3:39pm

try disabling the network antivirus and see it works.http://www.virmansec.com/blogs/skhairuddin
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 4th, 2011 5:51pm

Tried that. Turned off av on network and local PC. Any other ideas?
February 11th, 2011 12:48pm

Hi, I would like to confirm if this issue only occurs with Adobe Acrobat 8? Please try to use other applications, such as mspaint to save the .jpg files to the network drive and let us know the result. If this issue only occurs with Adobe Acrobat 8, you may try to update it or contact Adobe Support which is the best source regarding their product from the following link for further assistance. http://www.adobe.com/support/ Please Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information. Regards,Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
February 18th, 2011 10:10pm

We are having problems with other software than just Acrobat. We're also loosing files using Adobe Framemaker. Yes, the coincidence is glaring; it has to be an Adobe problem. However, we're wondering if it's not related to replication or DFS. I say this because we can save these same files, without fail, to our downstream server; but when we save them to the upstream server is when we have problems. So, if I go to Adobe and tell them it works on one server but not the other, we all know how they'll respond. Another observation is, the problem occurs when Adobe is doing a conversion of file types... .pdf to .jpg or .fm to .book, etc. If I save a .jpg as a .jpg or .fm as a .fm we don't have problems. Is it possible replication is trying to replicate the file before it's completely written and losing it in the process?
February 23rd, 2011 9:56am

Terfri,I have the exact same problem with any adobe application right now (Acrobat or the MS Office plug-ins), whether I save it as a pdf or print it to the adobe printer, it asks for the name, I supply it, it goes away as if everything worked, and then when I go to open it, its not in the directory. It all worked great in Windows 7 on my 32 bit laptop, but when I upgraded to Win7 64bit, the same software stopped working. Very frustrating since I save reports from Access as PDF's for long term records. There is next to nothing about this problem on the web, other than a few of us who are experiencing it.
March 10th, 2011 10:47pm

I have the exact same problem with any adobe application right now (Acrobat or the MS Office plug-ins), whether I save it as a pdf or print it to the adobe printer, it asks for the name, I supply it, it goes away as if everything worked, and then when I go to open it, its not in the directory. It all worked great in Windows 7 on my 32 bit laptop, but when I upgraded to Win7 64bit, the same software stopped working. Very frustrating since I save reports from Access as PDF's for long term records. There is next to nothing about this problem on the web, other than a few of us who are experiencing it.
March 10th, 2011 10:48pm

I spoke with Adobe support... The problems we are having are caused by using Adobe to convert files created by another software. For example: We use CAD to save images as .pdf files, then open the .pdf files in Acrobat and save them as a .jpg file. Adobe can't control how CAD codes the .pdf, thus they can't control how Acrobat will convert it to a .jpg. Adobe's work around is to save the original files as a post script file (.ps) then open the .ps file in Acrobat. This way Acrobat is creating the .pdf and the conversion to .jpg will be successful. Likewise, the problem we're having with framemaker... the pages or chapters we create in framemaker may contain .jpg files or content created with something other than an Adobe product; and because Adobe can't control how the original content was created, it can't control how it's converted. (Framemaker 10 seems to work better, so we've upgraded.) Otherwise, Adobe's work-arounds are ineffecient for us, so our users now save the converted files to their local drive then copy them to the network. Pain in the butt! I guess Adobe's known about this problem for years and continues to try to improve their products. :-)
March 17th, 2011 10:53am

Tanbee PDF Converter for Mac is the 5-in-1 PDF Converter for you to convert PDF to Word, PDF to TEXT, PDF to HTML, PDF to EPUB and PDF to image on Mac OS. After the conversion, you can easily enjoy or edit the files. You can easily choose the output format that you need Txt, Word, JPEG, PNG, BMP, EPUB, HTML format. Featured with its user-friendly and easy-to-handle interface, the Tanbee PDF Converter for Mac makes you achieve any of the conversions with several clicks in few minutes. This PDF Converter is absolutely the standalone program, then you can directly use it with any assistant program like Adobe Acrobat or Adobe Reader and so on. * Convert PDF file to DOC/RTF/TXT text formats. * Convert PDF to JPEG/PNG/BMP image formats. * Support to choose the exact page(s) that you need. * Convert PDF Files in Batches. Tanbee PDF Converter for Mac Key Features Fast Speed - Convert Adobe PDF document into Word, Text , Image, Epub & HTML files quickly for mac users. High Efficiency - Support batch conversion and partial conversion. Batch conversion: import multiple PDF eBooks to the program and convert them at one time; Partial conversion: Customize the page ranges of each PDF eBooks in the panel for conversion, specify which page you want to convert PDF files. Good PDF conversion result - Preserves the original layout of text, columns, tables, graphics, images and hyperlinks after exported from PDF to Word, Image, Text, Epub and HTML. Intuitive interface and stand-alone programme - This PDF Converter for Mac is easy to use and has an intuitive and user-friendly interface. Meanwhile it is standalone--don't require Adobe Acrobat, Adobe Reader or other third party software to be installed. Easy to use - With its simple interface, Mac users can easily convert PDF to other formats as easy as 1-2-3. Related tags: PDF Converter for Mac; PDF to Word Mac; PDF to Excel Mac; PDF to PowerPoint Mac; PDF to HTML Mac; PDF to TEXT Mac; PDF to ePub Mac; PDF to Image Mac; PDF to Office Mac
June 14th, 2011 3:47am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics