File sharing in window server 2003
Hi all,Aftering searching in the forums, could not find the answer.In my 2003 server, i share a file using the sharing and sercurity function. So i can access the file from another server. In another 2003 server, i can access the server by typing in the ip address, username and password. But, when i try to the access the file from win xp, i could not access. When i type in the username and password, it keep prompting me to type again, i'm sure i enter the correct value.By the way, the window server 2003 can access the share folder in winxp but not the other way.Anyone have face the same problems before?Thankscheng
December 11th, 2009 6:13am

Hi Cheng,Thank you for posting in windows server forums, Can you please provide us the unedited ipconfig /all output from both the server and the client ? --Does this issue happens with other clients in the network ? or is it specific only to xp ?--Can you check the behavior between 2 xp clients ? ( the one xp which is failing vs other XP client )
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 11th, 2009 6:32am

oh ok.. when i get the unedited copy will post soon.this happen with all the clients in the net work.in my net work, i have window server 2003, window NT and window XP.i have no issue between window NT and window XP, or between window xp with another window xp. and between window server 2003 and another window server2003.the window server 2003 can access the shared folder in all window xp and window NT. But when other clients other than window server try to access the shared folder in the window server 2003, it fails.
December 11th, 2009 6:41am

Hi cheng99,Can you please try configuring the security option on Windows Server 2003 file server?1. Gpedit.msc2. expand to:Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local Policies\Security OptionsNetwork access: Sharing and security model for local accountsset to: Guest only - local users authenticate as Guest3. reboot the serverMeanwhile, please also verify that the local Guest account is enable on Windows Server 2003.1. Server manager2. Local Users and Groups3. Enable Guest accountThen you may try to acces the file server from windows XP client.Hope it helps.Best Regards,David Shen This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
December 14th, 2009 12:43pm

hi david,Thanks.But it does not work as well. The same effect happen? It keep asking me to type user name and password, but i am sure that the user name n passworsd is correct.Any where my server is in workgroup not domain. Does it affect windows server 2003.
December 14th, 2009 1:12pm

Hi cheng99,Have you ever try reboot the Windows Server 2003 after you modify the above security local group policy options?This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
December 14th, 2009 1:31pm

Hi Cheng99,I could think of smb signing might be the culprit , please restart the system as david mentioned and if problem persist, try disabling the smb signing http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/887429
December 14th, 2009 4:19pm

ya i restart the server.. still the same problem.smb signing? After reading through the site. Is it as follow?Workstation/ClientMicrosoft network client: Digitally sign communications (always) Policy Setting: not defined Microsoft network client: Digitally sign communications (if server agrees) Policy Setting: not defined Effective Setting: enabled (because of local policy) ServerMicrosoft network server: Digitally sign communications (always) Policy Setting: enabled Microsoft network server: Digitally sign communications (if client agrees) Policy Setting: enabled Disabled everthing? Have tried disabled all, but still cannot..:(
December 15th, 2009 4:47am

Hi Thanks for the update,Can you login with domain administrator account on both the xp and 2003 and test the behavior ?
December 15th, 2009 7:59am

hi sainath,Try the behaviour? as in?Ican ping each other. xp ping 2003 and vice versa. But when it come to accessing the shared folders, 2003 can access xp's shared folder but xp could not access 2003's shared folder.Must it be in domain in order to share a file?
December 15th, 2009 8:13am

Hi Cheng,I initially asked you to post the ipconfig /all ( unedited) to know about the client placement ( workgroup / domain) . i still ask you the same question, how are the clients placed ??
December 15th, 2009 11:25am

Hi sainath,Actually i try it on the virtualization, have not setup the network.. using VMware. i have 3 virtual machine(VM) in my locahost.one is windows server 2003 and the otheris window NT and the last is winxpI assign3 different IP address to it: 192.168.152.11, 192.168.152.44, 192.168.152.33First VM of 2003:Windows IP ConfigurationHost Name..............:exdataPrimary Dna Suffix....:Node Type................:UnknownIP Routing Enabled.....:NoWINS Proxy Enabled...:NoEthernet adapter Local Area Connection :Connection-specific DNS Suffix :Description ................................: VMware Accelerated AMD PCNet AdapterPhysical Address.........................: 00-0C-29-D9-13-10DHCP Enabled............................: NoIP Address..................................:192.168.152.44Subnet Mask...............................:255.255.255.0Default Gateway..........................:SecondVM of NT:Windows IP ConfigurationHost Name..............:exdata2DNS Servers...........:Node Type................:BroadcastNetBIOS Scope ID.....:IP Routing Enabledd.....:NoWINS Proxy Enabled...:NoNetBIOS Resolution Uses DNS :NoEthernet adapater AMDPCN1:Description ................................: AMD PCNET Family Ethernet AdapterPhysical Address.........................: 00-0C-29-C8-62-3DDHCP Enabled............................: NoIP Address..................................:192.168.152.11Subnet Mask...............................:255.255.255.0Default Gateway..........................:ThirdVM of winxp:Windows IP ConfigurationHost Name..............:exdata3Primary Dna Suffix....:Node Type................:UnknownIP Routing Enabled.....:NoWINS Proxy Enabled...:NoEthernet adapter Local Area Connection :Connection-specific DNS Suffix :Description ................................: VMware Accelerated AMD PCNet AdapterPhysical Address.........................: 00-50-56-C0-00-01DHCP Enabled............................: NoIP Address..................................:192.168.152.1Subnet Mask...............................:255.255.255.0Default Gateway..........................:All is under workgroup.I am able to ping each other.But when it comes to shared folder, the problems happen with, other VM trying to access the shared folder in window server 2003 VM.
December 16th, 2009 5:47am

Hi there,thank you for the output from xp client can you perform the following and let us know the resultxp --> windows 2003 share === using \\ipaddress --> provide systemname\username and passowrdsystemname\administrator and passowrdxp --> windows 2003 share === using \\netbiosname --> provide systemname\username and passowrdsystemname\administrator and passowrdxp --> windows 2003 { Map Drive } and test the behavior XP --> windows 2003 share == using net use to access the share
December 16th, 2009 9:30am

using \\ipaddress, it keep prompting me to type in the username and passwordusing \\netbiosname, where can i get the netbiosname is it the host name? i try host name, same problem as \\ipaddress.map drive from file explorer has the same problem as \\ipaddress.map drive through cmd, it say network name cannot be found.net use p:\\192.168.152.44\datadata is the folder that i shared in 2003.
December 16th, 2009 10:15am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics