File group is running out of space

Monitor : DB File Space (rollup)

SQL MP Version : 6.3.173.1

SCOM 2007 R2 with CU2

Issue : We are receiving alert File group is running out of space from monitor DB File Space (rollup) for file groups which do not exist on the SQL server.

Lately we are receiving an alert, File group is running out of space, every week from monitor DB File Space (rollup) for file group on a  SQL server, and when the SQL Admin checks the SQL database, no such file group exists. This is a SharePoint database, where a weekly job runs and creates a new file group every week. It probably also goes ahead and deletes the oldest file group. The alert we receive is for the oldest file group. Ideally we should be receiving an alert saying, File group is not available, however we receive an alert saying File group is running out of space.

Also I see that the object discovery for database is set to 4 hours, however I do not see an object discovery for file group. So I understand that when the database is discovered, corresponding file groups are also discovered. So ideally if a new file group has been added it should be discovered and any file group which no longer exist should be discarded during the object discovery. However, after the object discovery is run, the non-existing file group is discarded, but an alert saying File group is running out of space for the non-existing file group is logged.

SQL Admins also confirm that there is enough space within the drive and the filegroup is set as unrestricted. They also check Windows logs and SQL error logs, and there are no error messages available related to file group.

Kindly suggest.

February 6th, 2013 5:09am

Hi,

Please see this thread, hope it can help you:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/operationsmanagermgmtpacks/thread/d28af6d7-f2ca-4595-b8d7-553e24aa67f1/

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 6th, 2013 7:38am

To summarize, my issue is that I'm getting an alert for a non-existent file group. Additionally I'm using the latest version of SQL MP 6.3

February 6th, 2013 9:11am

We had similar issue.  To get around we set up a group with dynamic membership and disabled the monitor for it.

( Object is SQL Database AND ( Database Name Contains WebAnalyticsServiceApplication_ReportingDB ) AND True ) 

June 12th, 2013 5:34pm

We are experiencing the same issue with SharePoint reporting aggregate databases.  The aggregate function within SharePoint rolls the data into other filegroups and then deletes the filegroup it no longer needs.  SCOM shortly thereafter fires an automated alert stating that the filegroup is running out of space instead of ignoring the filegroup because it no longer exists.  

Has anyone found a better resolution than disabling the monitor for these databases as suggested below?

T

February 11th, 2014 3:28pm

Hi Guys,

RESOLVED: i have the same issue in which i was getting the alert as file group is running out of space. for this you need to look at the error and get the DB instance for which it is getting, once you get the DB name go to SQL management server open that DB and at the master DB goto preperties you need to check for the File group allocated and available space. it generally comes when there is less available space go to tab behind that and in Primary increased the file group size to more in MB it its 50 MB make it 200 MB .. like that.

please dont forget to mark the answer once you get things reolsved.

May 7th, 2015 11:49am

Hi Guys,

RESOLVED: i have the same issue in which i was getting the alert as file group is running out of space. for this you need to look at the error and get the DB instance for which it is getting, once you get the DB name go to SQL management server open that DB and at the master DB goto preperties you need to check for the File group allocated and available space. it generally comes when there is less available space go to tab behind that and in Primary increased the file group size to more in MB it its 50 MB make it 200 MB .. like that.

May 7th, 2015 3:47pm

Hi Guys,

May 7th, 2015 3:47pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics