File association problem
I am using server 2008 terminal server (activated) and I still have not activate my terminal server license as I may need to delete and do re-installation. I realized that sometimes things may not be fully functional if license is not activated. My ultimate requirement is when I double click a file. It will be opened by my its corrected version of bookkeeping MYOB program. I have more than 2 versions of the same programs. I need to keep all old files, so upgrading them to newer version is not appropriate. Some of them needed to be opened with older version and some with newer version. I tried to use UI method, that is "open with" and locate the appropriate program version but failed, it just stayed at the old version (would it be because the program name and extension is exactly the same?). However, when i tried to open any new files, it still use the older program to open, as a result i got an error message saying this file needs newer version. I also tried edit the registry file, but it looks very confusing and instruction is not as clear as I can follow. The current work around is open the correct program version first then from the program pick the desired file(s). But it should not be a permanent solution as the end users get confused where to look for their own files. I prefer to create a file short cut on their desktop, they just double click on it and it will be opened by the appropriate version of program. Any help? Thanks Warren
September 2nd, 2010 5:02am

I'd ask the application developer. Some apps will accept and argument passed to the executable such that you may be able to create shortcuts something like; "C:\Program Files\somepath\OldApp.exe" "C:\Program Data\olddatafile.xxx" "C:\Program Files\somepath\NewApp.exe" "C:\Program Data\newdatafile.xxx" Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional -Microsoft MVP [Windows]
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 2nd, 2010 6:32am

You are the champion. I should have thought of that long ago. Thanks a million. Warren
September 2nd, 2010 8:08am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics