File Server Resource Manager PowerShell module missing in Windows 8 RSAT

It appears that the File Server Resource Manager PowerShell module does not get installed with the final version of RSAT for Windows 8 (not sure if twas this was the case with the preview versions or not). Everything else appears to be there as far as I can tell - dirquota.exe and the FSRM MMC snap-ins get installed. I tried toggling the feature in "Windows Features" but it did not help. 

Is anyone else seeing this? Is this by design or a mistake in the packaging?No FSRM PowerShell module in system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\Modules

Thanks,

Doug

September 17th, 2012 11:07pm

Hi Doug,

The command I tried is:

Install-WindowsFeature -Name fs-resource-manager -IncludeManagementTools

After installation, FileServerResourceManager folder appears in Modules folder.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 19th, 2012 9:06am

Shaon,

It sounds as if you're running Windows Server 2012. I'm referring to the Remote Server Administration Tools for the client version of the OS. When I attempt to run Install-WindowsFeature under Windows 8 it returns the error "Install-WindowsFeature : The target of the specified cmdlet cannot be a Windows client-based operating system."

-Doug

• Edited by DougBB Wednesday, September 19, 2012 4:02 PM
September 19th, 2012 4:00pm

Hello Doug,

Thank you for checking this out. The FSRM cmdlets are indeed available on server only.

You can use remote PowerShell to call the FSRM cmdlets on the server.

Hope that this helps

Regards,

Nir

September 19th, 2012 9:53pm

Can you offer any insight into why they were not included in the RSAT?

All the commands in that module appear to have the cimsession parameter and should be functional for running against remote servers.

It's not a much of a problem and there are obviously solutions like remoting but it seems inconsistent when the rest of the FSRM tools are installed.

Thanks,

Doug

September 19th, 2012 10:14pm

Why does Technet article assert that this File server resource manager powershell tools are included in windows 8 and 8.1 ?

source:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj900651.aspx

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj900651(v=wps.620).aspx

And when you run diskqouta.exe that is the command you get with RSAT for windows 8/8.1 then it says

"

This tool is deprecated and may be removed in future releases of Windows. Please use the Windows Power
Shell cmdlets in the FileServerResourceManager module to administer File Server Resource Manager funct
ionality.

"

Pleas fix, how else do we administrate our file servers?

February 20th, 2014 4:18pm

I too am trying to do FSRM from Windows 8.1 client with all RSAT features checked...and no FSRM.  But as Viktor mentioned the Technet documentation shows that the cmdlets are on Server 2012 R2 and Windows 8.1.  Please advise.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/%5Clibrary/JJ900651(v=WPS.630).aspx

Yes I know we can use remoting, but not as clean.

August 17th, 2015 11:06am

I'll follow up with the FSRM RSAT owners.
August 18th, 2015 9:38pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics