File Permissions Problems - Help!
Hi All This might appear the same as other file permissions questions asked but I assure you it's not! I copied data from Server 2003 (NTFS) in the UK to a FAT32 USB HDD, which was formatted on XP Pro. The NTFS permissions allowed the administrator and a select few others access. My impression was that as soon as I copied it to the FAT32 HDD, it would lose all the permissions. I have now copied the data from the USB HDD on to the Windows Home Server in Canada. All the files and permissions are fine apart from one folder and it's sub-folders which, no matter what I do, will not change permissions and now I cannot get access to these files. I am able to access the folder and sub-folders, see the files, right-click and see properties (Not security tab though) but that's about it. If I try to open a file I get an access denied, thumbnails don't show, etc. I have tried turning on/off inherit permissions Tried propogating the permissions from the parent down through the child folders Tried taking ownership (even of the entire drive!) but it comes up with an access denied whenever it gets to these files and folders Tried using the command line tool instead of the GUI (I forget the name) Any ideas? I will try anything to get access to these files, I'm desperate and can't find a solution. Thanks and please let me know if you need me to answer any questions to help you understand the problem. Thanks Latz
June 28th, 2011 3:43am

Hi Latz, It seems that as your current account is not either the creator or the owner so you cannot see and change the permission. First logon the Administrator account. You can do this on a client computer and boot it into Safe Mode and logon the Administrator account. Then test to take ownership of the target folder. You can also try the takeown command to do this job. Meanwhile, can you access the same data which are still exists on the USB device? As you can copy it, it seems that they are accessable before copied to local disk. If so, what's the tool you are using to do the copy? Test to copy without permission.TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 1st, 2011 12:17pm

Hi Shaon Thanks for your reply. I'm logged in via an RDP session, as the Administrator. It's one of these home NAS's (Acer) so there's no connectivity ports other than network... can't plug a monitor in to it or a keyboard,etc. Only way in is RDP. I tried the takeown command via a cmd prompt already and that didn't seem to work... kept getting an 'Access Denied' :-( I'm unable to access the original USB data now.... I copied the data over to the WHS server then destroyed the drives.... I'm stuck! I used a regular cut/paste to move the files Help!! Latz
July 2nd, 2011 9:12pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics