File Corruption on File Share (dbf files)
I have a 2008 server setup for testing, we have a FoxPro database that is served off a server share on this box. It is simply files ( .dbf + index files ) that exist on a normal share, not DFS, just plain old share. This application was living on a 2003 server, but testing it on the 2008 server - we are getting corruption. The indexes will randomly corrupt about 10 times a day.I have RDC turned off, it really is just a plain jane server. What changed with plain old file servering between 2003 and 2008?The client PCs are either XP or Vista.
March 4th, 2008 11:43pm

Hi, <This application was living on a 2003 server, but testing it on the 2008 server - we are getting corruption.> Please contact this application provider to make sure this application is compatible with Windows Server 2008. If you test it on Windows server 2003, may I know if this issue still persists? Besides, could you please explain to me more about the file corruption? It's better to give an example and descript the symptom when corruption occurring. Is there any error messages in the Event viewer? <What changed with plain old file service between 2003 and 2008?> There some significant improvement about file service on Window server 2008, such as use SMB (Server Message Block)2.0 protocol, Transactional File IO etc. Prior to Vista, SMB has an architectural limitation in the form of a 64KB buffer size limit which cannot be overcome through the use of TCP window scaling. SMB 2.0 in Vista is a new and redesigned protocol which removes this limitation (Vista is also backwards-compatible with SMB1). About more improvement about file server on Windows server 2008, please take a look at the following resource: http://whitepapers.techrepublic.com.com/webcast.aspx?docid=336898 If anything is unclear, please post back. Morgan
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 12th, 2008 3:41pm

We are the application provider, however it is just a Foxpro application. As I said before, the application was and has been working fine on Windows 2003, we are just in the process of evaluating 2008. This is an internal application we developed. In short, this is a multi user Foxpro application, 10 or so users, and the main corruption was in the index files that VFP creates. The user would simply be prompted after an hour or so that one of the indexes was corrupted. This would effect all users once this happened. What is strange is that this is just a file share with the database files on it. The server itself isnt doing anything but sharing the data. Can I force 2008 to use SMB 1.0 while the bugs are worked out?
March 13th, 2008 12:24am

I understand that SMB 2.0 should be backwards compatible, I would also like you to understand that I have used products like Vista and Outlook 2007 and have learned that things dont always work the first time, in fact they can be (and are) still brutal. It could easily just be an issue with SMB 2.0 as we do have Vista clients. There is NOTHING I can change in the code to fix this problem. Perhaps you can have someone familiar with Microsoft FoxPro help you out on this. I realize it is an older product, and I would love to be rid of it, however it is still in production use at my company. It isnt just "my" foxpro application, its ANYONES. Is Microsoft FoxPro incompatible with SMB 2.0? And again, is there a way I can shut it off, and just force the server to use 1.0?
March 17th, 2008 7:06pm

Hi Ryan,we are developingsoftware with vfp8 and have the same problems with corrupt index files when the tables are located on a windows 2008 server - as you described.Did you find out a solution for this problem?You can send a direct message to stefan.marschall@mks-ag.deThank you.
November 19th, 2008 3:50pm

Hi all,It is possible that you all found the solution for this. I'm working at a company that use xBase files a lot. From the international development we got a message about file corruption that are SMB2 related. Allthough I do not get in depth I thing this 'old' protocoll isn't suitable for SMB2.To disable SMB2 read this message:http://www.caseware.com/support/caseknowledge/file-corruption-when-using-windows-vista-windowsAls I found simmilar on:http://www.petri.co.il/how-to-disable-smb-2-on-windows-vista-or-server-2008.htmPerhaps this is what your looking for.Joost
March 31st, 2009 4:36pm

After reading all that over there I have come to know that the indexes of your database file are corrupted. And after turning off remote desktop connection you find it just like a Plain Jane Server. Well all you need to do just repair the FoxPro database file. Repairing is one and only solution of your problem.................... Do it............!!!!!!
May 25th, 2012 12:35pm

To repair your database you can use sysinfo tools' recovery program. I have read about it. It's very effective. The software is sysinfotools DBF recovery and you can get it from here: Get me. Thank you! Martina Meza!
May 25th, 2012 12:38pm

We are having the same issue. SMB 2.0 and opportunistic locking supported by Windows Server 2008 appear to be the culprit. Older applications are having this issue and the response seems to be to upgrade. We have hundreds of clients and are trying to upgrade them as fast as possible but they still have do business while we do this. For now, we are downgrading them to SMB 1.0 without opportunistic locking. By the way, we have always been a Microsoft shop....so this lack of backwards compatibility with MS applications is troubling.
September 21st, 2012 9:44pm

Hi, We have migrated our file server in january 2013 from a Windows 2003 server to a Windows 2008 R2 server and installed every patch and SP. Regardind clients, they are the same then before the migration : Windows XP PRO clients with SP3 and Windows 7 Pro clients whith SP1 (each client OS is up to date). Since this migration, we have issues with 1 big file from our ISAM database stored on this new server (PCSoft database). Sometimes, client applications crash because of an index corruption of this file. Before the migraiton, we never experienced this issue! I know that Microsot published hotfix regarding SMB issues but I wonder if I need to install them because my server is very recent with SP1 and no more update seems to be necessary ? Can someone help me to understand this issue ? When we were using 2003 server, we never had this problem and no need to disable oplocks for instance on the machines ? Thanks in advance.
March 18th, 2013 12:30pm

Your dbf files can be restored easy with dbf file fixer program Program http://www.dbf.fixtoolboxx.com gives you the opportunity to forget about any issues related to database files
April 11th, 2013 5:44am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics