File Copy slow
Dear all, Situation: Fileserbver A and File Server B are in the Same LAN and Subnet . Fileserver A has a Shared Folder A FileServer B has A Shared Folder B I login to my Win7 Desktop (in same SIte as of ServerA and Server B)and Start copying the file from Share A of Fileserver A to Share B of File Server B - I get around 30 - 40 MB/sec transfer rate ( I am happy) I login to another Win7 machine (In other Site as from ServerA and ServerB) -- Sites are separated by 16MB Link I copy the same files from Share A of Fileserver A to Share B of File Server B .. I get 1MB/sec Speed (So users complaing that it is slow) Questions: 1.Should i expect a faster Copying Speed when copying from Win7 which sits across the WAN 16MB Link? 2.Are we using SMB or CIFS .. I guess SMB but not sure. 3.Is the copying happening in this Order: Win7 Copies Share A from Server A to some Intermediate Buffer on it and Then copies the Same from its Buffer to Share B on Server B. Is this Not duplication on Work Can i make sure that Intermediate buffer is not used and Win7 as soon as copy is initiated can copy directly from Server A to Server B without the Data travelling across WAN as the Server A and Server B sit on Same LAN. Thank you All.
August 3rd, 2011 2:52am

Hi, Yes, the client has a buffer for reading and writing data. In the situation, it should first read the data on server A and put it into its buffer and then it could write the data in the buffer into server B. The speed you get on the client is normal. 1MB/sec = 8Mbps. Since reading data and writing data each costs 8Mbps, it totally costs 16Mbps. Hoping the information could help you. Best Regards Scott Xie
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 8th, 2011 10:30pm

Thanks Scott.. This might be helpful to uers as well: http://blogs.technet.com/b/markrussinovich/archive/2008/02/04/2826167.aspx
August 10th, 2011 8:52am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics