File Associations issues after Windows Update
Problem: After applying windows updates for the 2007 compatibility pack and word\excel viewer the file associations XLS and DOC are pointing to Microsoft Open XML converter. The default was XLS to Excel Viewer and DOC was to Word Viewer. In the environment that I am having the issue we are running TS 2003, the only piece of the office suite installed is Outlook. If I look in the registry the keys point to the orginial defaults but if you look in Folder Options> File Types the file associations are incorrect. I was able to correct the issue by running a repair on the viewer applications. My question is what can we do to stop this. In this enviroment we have 70+ servers. In the other environments 200+ that run the office suite. Yes, we did have a similiar issue in this environment where DOC and XLS files point to the viewer instead of the Office suite products. running winword /r corrected the issue for this. Thank you in advanced. Misty
January 13th, 2011 9:58am

Hi, As a workaround, I suggest create a computer startup script and run "winword /r" automatically. Thanks. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 21st, 2011 5:21am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics