File Associations Lost - LNK, EXE, MSC Do Not Run - Blank Icons - No Program Logos
Windows 2003 Server Standard, Sp2. Intel Brand box. Been in service solid as a rock for 4 years. Start, Run, Open: will not run an exe. Windows Explorer direct "double click" will not run an exe. File Associations are Lost - LNK, EXE, MSC do not run. Blank Icons, no typical Program Logos next to the file names or on the Desktop. I was able to use Task Manager, New File (Run ...) to get a CMD screen which will run exe's directly from the Command Line. Ran CHKDSK /F. System volume is clean. I found two XP Registry Tweaks (REG files) that get rave reviews in other Forums for fixing this behavior in XP. For REG files see links: http://www.doughknox.com/xp/fileassoc/xp_exe_fix.zip and http://www.doughknox.com/xp/fileassoc/linkfile_fix.zip. Each zip contains one REG file. QUESTION: Are the XP and 2003 Registries similar enough that I can trust these XP fixes on 2003? Or, do you have any other suggestions? I'm really desperate. This is a Production Server with Accounting and Database applications. Thank you. JimSills@apsd.com
March 28th, 2010 7:54pm

Its almost certainly malware related. You really need to rebuild the machine else you can not trust it. Having said that the links you posted didn't work but the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT branch should be similar enough. Obviously no guarantees. Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional -Microsoft MVP [Windows]
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 29th, 2010 4:55pm

Hi Jim, I'm experiencing the same symptoms on three of my servers. I had to do a system repair to fix two of the three. I'm engaging Microsoft on the 3rd one. What did you do to fix this issue? Did you ever find out what caused it? Thanks!
May 10th, 2010 10:32pm

I had the same problem under windows 2003 SE. I fixed this by restoring system from image copy but couple days after problem back. Now I have no idea what is the problem and how to repair system without using restore. have you found any solution
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 19th, 2010 9:46am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics