Failure sending mail

On na new installation of Reporting Services 2012 I created an email subscription on a report (once a day). In the status line of that subscription it says (when it is time to execute the report subscription):

Failure sending mail: Service not available, closing transmission channel. The server response was: Cannot connect to SMTP server xx.xx.xx.xx (xx.xx.xx.xx:25), connect error 10061

I have already tried to connect my server to a second (replacement) ISP provider but the same issue remains. Previous I had Reporting Services 2005 on a windows XP machine and everything worked fine.

Current operating system: Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit

September 8th, 2015 2:05pm

Hi.

Thanks for the help...but I have seen this threads before and they do not help with my issue.

Any other thoughts?

September 8th, 2015 3:13pm

Can you connect to the smtp server via another tool?

Try telnet.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 8th, 2015 3:26pm

Most ISPs block access to external port 25 SMTP servers to stop SPAM, unless you have a "business" account.

Can you run:

telnet <smtp_server> 25

Until that works, you will not be able to send mail using SMTP.

September 8th, 2015 4:00pm

Most ISPs block access to external port 25 SMTP servers to stop SPAM, unless you have a "business" account.

Can you run:

telnet <smtp_server> 25

Until that works, you will not be able to send mail using SMTP.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 8th, 2015 7:57pm

Hi Tom.

I followed your advice and tried telnet <smtp_server> and quickly realised you are right. The problem was with my ISP, who is blocking port 25 to SMTP servers except his own SMTP server.

Once I entered his SMTP server in SSRS Configuration Manager, emails were sent.

Thanks.

• Marked as answer by TomFishSql 13 hours 20 minutes ago
September 12th, 2015 1:46pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics