Failover cluster File Server role best practices
We recently implemented a Hyper-V Server Core 2012 R2 cluster with the sole purpose to run our server environment.  I started with our file servers and decided to create multiple file servers and put them in a cluster for high availability.  So now I have a cluster of VMs, which I have now learned is called a guest cluster, and I added the File Server role to this cluster.  It then struck me that I could have just as easily created the File Server role under my Hyper-V Server cluster and removed this extra virtual layer.  

I'm reaching out to this community to see if there are any best practices on using the File Server role.  Are there any benefits to having a guest cluster provide file shares? Or am I making things overly complicated for no reason?

Just to be clear, I'm just trying to make a simple Windows file server with folder shares that have security enabled on them for users to access internally. I'm using Hyper-V Core server 2012 R2 on my physical servers and right now I have Windows Server Standard 2012 R2 on the VMs in the guest cluster.

Thanks for any information you can provide.
February 9th, 2015 6:06pm

Hi,

Generally with Hyper-V VMs available, we will install all roles into virtual machines as that will be easy for management purpose.

In your situation the host system is a server core, so it seems that manage file shares with a GUI is much better.

I cannot find an article specifically regarding "best practices of setting up failover cluster". Here are 2 articles regarding build guest cluster (you have already done) and steps to create a file server cluster. 

Hyper-V Guest Clustering Step-by-Step Guide

http://blogs.technet.com/b/mghazai/archive/2009/12/12/hyper-v-guest-clustering-step-by-step-guide.aspx

Failover Cluster Step-by-Step Guide: Configuring a Two-Node File Server Failover Cluster

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc731844(v=ws.10).aspx

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 10th, 2015 4:24am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics