Failover Clustering, setting up AD and adding servers to Hyper V manager

First post over here. I have been playing with Server 2012R2, creating VMs etc. I thought of getting adventurous and tried to create a fail over cluster.

1. Do I really need VMM to be able to manage two Hyper V servers from one machine

2. When I try to add a server into Failover Cluster Manager, I get an error " You are not administrative privileges on this server - server ip"

What I have done so far:

- First step, I had to be domain controller so I installed Active Directory Administrative services on two of my servers and set up a domain

-Before I did this, i was able to go to Hyper V manager and add both servers to Hyper V manager and manage them. Once I created a domain, I am getting permission errors.

Before I installed AD, everything seemed easy. Now I hit permissions errors/ Privilege errors and admin rights at every step.

I tried creating a cluster with just one server and that failed during the cluster create state. The Validation error is below. This doesnt make sense to me as this server is also the domain controller

Validate Active Directory Configuration

Description: Validate that all the nodes have the same domain, domain role, and organizational unit. Validating that all nodes have the same domain, domain role, and organizational unit.
    Fqdn Domain Domain Role Site Name Organizational Unit
    NASE-2012-236.yyy.xxxx.com yyy.xxxx.com Primary Domain Controller Default-First-Site-Name OU=Domain Controllers
    Node(s) NASE-2012-236.yyy.xxxx.com cannot reach a writable domain controller. Please check connectivity of these nodes to the domain controllers. The user can create computer objects in the 'lab.nase.com' domain in the 'OU=Domain Controllers,DC=lab,DC=nase,DC=com' organizational unit. To successfully create a cluster, either the installer must have the privileges needed to create computer objects in the container of the cluster node computer objects, or a computer object must be pre-created by a domain administrator. The user creating the cluster requires the 'Create Computer Object' permission on the container where computer objects are created in the domain. If the default container has been modified, then this privilege will need to be granted to the user for the new container. If a pre-existing computer object is used, please ensure that the computer object is in a Disabled state and that the user creating the cluster has 'Full Control' permission to that computer object using the Active Directory Users and Computers tool prior to creating the cluster.

January 9th, 2014 12:26pm

"1. Do I really need VMM to be able to manage two Hyper V servers from one machine"

No, the built-in Hyper-V Management console will easily suffice for small implementations.  When you put the Hyper-V hosts into a cluster, it is better to manage from the Failover Cluster console.  It makes calls to the Hyper-V Management infrastructure.

You cannot cluster two domain controllers.  A better way to do it is to set up a VM on each Hyper-V host and make them domain controllers.  Join the Hyper-V hosts to the domain and then cluster the Hyper-V hosts.  Do not make the domain controllers highly available - they already have built-in high availability.  This is how I set up nearly every one of my environments where I have limited hardware.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 9th, 2014 4:55pm

Hi,

The Hyper-v role not recommend installed with other role. On the other hand, the domain controller on one node ,it this node crash, your cluster CAP will cant be accessed.

More information:

Example, Failover Cluster in Which All Nodes Run Hyper-V

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd197581(v=ws.10).aspx

Hope this helps.

January 10th, 2014 9:02am

Tim,

Thank you for that reply and the suggestion to move the domain controller to a VM- very brilliant indeed. Im more of a networking guy and not an applications expert.

Assuming both Hyper V hosts are in the same domain, do I need two Domain controller since you said HA is built in?

Does Failover Cluster Manager require a domain Controller?Can  you point me to a tech link on how to make the Hyper V host join a domain.

Thanks

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 13th, 2014 5:44am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics