Failover Cluster Takes Control of non-designated HA SAN LUNs

I have a Compellent SAN configured with a 20TB CSV that is used for the HA VMs. On top of that I have configured six 5TB LUNs that are assigned to the individual hypervisors (1 each). Sometimes without knowing until it's too late the FCM (Failover Cluster Manager) takes control of one of the non-HA LUNS and assigns it to the current storage owner. This, of course, breaks any VM with resources stored on that LUN.

Is there a way to tell FCM to not take control of a certain disk or LUN from the hypervisors?

September 8th, 2015 5:35pm

Hi Sir,

>>Sometimes without knowing until it's too late the FCM (Failover Cluster Manager) takes control of one of the non-HA LUNS and assigns it to the current storage owner.

Do you mean FCM added the non-CSV/quorum (local used LUN) into HA storage automatically ?

Could you please provide more information of the environment and the LUN allocation ?

Edit:

I tested ISCSI connection in my lab .

To be managed by FCM , the additional disks need to be manually added into the cluster :

It shouldn't happen automatically , if the issue arises periodically you may need to check if there is any script/command which was executed regularly .

Best Regards,

El

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 10th, 2015 10:28am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics