Failing to add read-only library share to cloud for a library share in a managed NetApp vserver

We have a NetApp Data ONTAP cluster mode added as a storage provider within SCVMM. We created a vserver with a file share that is managed by SCVMM. We then right clicked on the Library server and added that share as a managed Library share. When we go to a cloud's properties and add that share as a read-only library share for the cloud, the job fails and gives this error.

VMM02 is our Library Server in SCVMM, FS02 is the NetApp vserver with a file share of vmmlibrary. We can use any files in the share for templates and such, we just can't associate it to a cloud.

We followed the first part of this article for the NetApp share part, https://communities.netapp.com/community/netapp-blogs/msenviro/blog/2014/02/21/leverage-scvmm-2012-r2-offload-data-transfer-odx-for-vm-provisioning-using-data-ontap-smi-s-agent-51

Error (24338)
Path \\fs02.ourdomain.com\vmmlibrary\ is not on a library share that is managed by VMM Server.

Recommended Action
Provide a path on a library share.

March 13th, 2014 11:12pm

Hi John,

in VMM go to Fabric -> file Servers -> select one of your shares > right click for properties -> check "File share managed by VMM"

should do the trick ...

Rgds

Christophe

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 14th, 2014 2:47pm

That has been checked. We did that when we created and setup the share.
July 16th, 2014 7:29pm

Hi John,

I have the exact same problem. Did you find a solution for this problem?

May 28th, 2015 5:44am

Hi Christophe,

Yes, I have added the Netapp SMI-S Provider, and I can create SMB shares from within the VMM console.

The created SMB shares works fine as VM storage, and I can also add VMM created Netapp SMB shares to a Windows Library server, but when I try assigning the Library share to a Cloud I get the error.

May 28th, 2015 6:42am

I remember some issues with VM capability profiles in cloud properties, are any of the settings have an active check-box? if yes, remove that

otherwise, what's the latest RU that's installed?

May 28th, 2015 7:36am

Ok, I tried removing "Hyper-V" as a capability profiles, but that did not make any difference.

I am running VMM 2012 R2 CU5.

May 28th, 2015 7:44am

as the error message in VMM doesn't reveal that much, any events in:

Applications and Services Logs / VirtualMachineManager / Server / Admin and/or Operational?

May 28th, 2015 8:05am

No unfortunately not. There are no errors since I finished installing the VMM Cluster.
May 28th, 2015 10:14am

you could try enabling debug logging to get some more detailed info:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2913445?wa=wsignin1.0
May 28th, 2015 10:18am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics