Failed to set teh selected language as UI language.

I'm baffled. I've added boot.wim from 8.1 RTM and 2012 R2 RTM to a new WDS installation. The default language is en-us according to the file properties in WDS,  but it errors out on the client with: failed to set the selected language as the UI language. I cannot set it to en-us.  It works for any other English variant - just not the US.  I can get it work, for example, as English (Canada) with a US input.  But not English (united states).&n

October 22nd, 2013 8:15pm

Hi Jason,

Could you share the answer file with us?

It could be caused that when you set en-US as UI language, it trying to install a language package for en-US and of course it will fail as there is no such a language package.

Also the same issue is discussed a lot in this thread:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/27ad951c-cb33-43fb-bdaa-be3954138ed5/wes7sp1-cannot-deploy-answer-files-that-do-not-contain-english-language

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 24th, 2013 11:22am

I am not using an answer file.  The boot image comes right out of the ISO as does the images.  I've done this before using the default images and it worked just fine - that was for an earli

October 24th, 2013 5:33pm

Any further info or resolution on this issue? I am also seeing this trying to PXE a Hyper-V VM to install Windows 2012 R2 RTM. Haven't been able to figure out why this occurs.
November 6th, 2013 10:20pm

I am having the same issue. I simply chose English (United Kingdom) and was able to proceed with PXE Imaging my Server 2012 R2 VM.
November 9th, 2013 12:24am

Bump.
December 26th, 2013 8:50pm

Any updates on this ? Im having the same problem with WS2012 R2. 
January 5th, 2014 6:20am

I'm having this issue too. Anyone resolve it yet?

Thanks!

January 13th, 2014 1:39am

Select English(Canada) and the installation will continue....
  • Proposed as answer by Kuba_L Sunday, March 09, 2014 4:35 AM
January 13th, 2014 2:25am

• Proposed as answer by Kuba_L Sunday, March 09, 2014 4:35 AM
January 13th, 2014 2:25am

BUT leave the Keyboard layout as US because the keys don't match up. This is ridiculous.
January 13th, 2014 4:16pm

I am also having this issue.  I am using Hyper-V to test the deployment. Is this true for anyone else.

The single test I tried on a physical machine seemed to work ok. However there was no hard drive in the machine so I was not actually able to install the OS, but I was able to get past the login prompt.

January 31st, 2014 9:12pm

Everybody is having the issue and no one at MSFT cares, because you just choose English(CN) --but don't change the keyboard) and you're golden. They'll just slip the fix into some update package and never publically acknowledge the hiccup even existed.
January 31st, 2014 9:56pm

same issue here when booting PXE on HV 12R2 guest (Gen2) from WDS server running 2012R2 datacenter evaluation (all up to date as far as I see, March 2014).

... sounds like they missed a patch for this one LOL!

Choosing English (Canada) during prompt worked nicely around the issue.

• Edited by Kuba_L Sunday, March 09, 2014 4:35 AM
March 9th, 2014 3:51am

same issue here when booting PXE on HV 12R2 guest (Gen2) from WDS server running 2012R2 datacenter evaluation (all up to date as far as I see, March 2014).

... sounds like they missed a patch for this one LOL!

Choosing English (Canada) during prompt worked nicely around the issue.

• Edited by Kuba_L Sunday, March 09, 2014 4:35 AM
March 9th, 2014 3:51am

everybody to solve this error? I'm with the same error.
November 28th, 2014 12:50pm

Hey

I ran into this problem when my secondary array where my VMs were stored failed to come online after a reboot.

So I went to my disk management and put my array online and my VMs were all on saved-critical mode.

I started up all my saved-critical VMs and everything came (accept for 1).

Then I went and created a new VM using generation 2 for PXE boot on regular network virtual adaptor and it failed with the UI issue.

So I went to my server that has the WDS (Windows Deployment Service) and rebooted it.

I went back and created the VM again with 2048MB memory and was able to PXE boot into my Windows 2012r2 using WDS.

As dumb as this may sound, just by rebooting WDS and having 2048MB ram assigned for the VM worked for me.  Also, on a side note, I only get this problem when using Generation 2 VM setup.

Hopefully this will help some of you guys out.

January 17th, 2015 1:10am

Thank you very much! It's working!))
January 19th, 2015 5:33am

Reading mattlok's answer gave me the solution with the allocation of only 512MB. The installation seems to need 1GB or more to avoid this error message.
April 3rd, 2015 11:03pm

I was testing WDS in a Hyper-V environment and was getting the UI error. The solution mattlok suggested worked. Just be sure to change the Startup RAM and the Minimum RAM to 2048MB in the settings of the virtual machine you are deploying. (Of course, as others have mentioned you can also just change the UI language.)
June 17th, 2015 9:15pm

Everybody is having the issue and no one at MSFT cares, because you just choose English(CN) --but don't change the keyboard) and you're golden. They'll just slip the fix into some update package and never publically acknowledge the hiccup eve
August 10th, 2015 8:33pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics