Failed to initialize all required WMI classes.
The operating system is Windows Server 2003. Select Control Panel --> Computer Management. Expand the "Services and Applications" node in the left hand pane. Left click on "WMI Control" and then right click on "WMI Control" and select Properties. A window appears stating: Win32_Processor: WMI: Access denied Win32_WMISetting: Successful Security information: Successful Win32_OperatingSystem: WMI: Access denied How can I correct this issue? I cannot launch SQL Server Configuration Manager because of this WMI problem. An error window appears stating, "Connection to target machine could not be made in a timely fasion." Yes, fashion was misspelled as "fasion."
May 9th, 2010 8:18am

First of all check this thread, there are detailed diagnose steps and correct rights and permissions for dcom/wmi: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverManagement/thread/fb67e66c-ab6f-43be-b1e0-9c8396f7307a Maybe some links that maybe handy for you: The WMI Diagnosis Utility http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=d7ba3cd6-18d1-4d05-b11e-4c64192ae97d&displaylang=en WMI Diag Tool Q&A: http://blogs.msdn.com/wmi/archive/2006/05/12/596266.aspx WMI Troubleshooting: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa394603(VS.85).aspx hth Gregor Stefka
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 9th, 2010 11:49am

Hi, Please try the following suggestions: 1. Backup and delete the following Registry Key: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Ole] MachineLaunchRestriction DefaultAccessPermission MachineAccessRestriction Restart the system to test. What’s the result? If the issue persists, try: 2. Find C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\WMIPRVSE.EXE, check the NTFS permissions, make sure Administrator, system and Authenticated Users have proper rights. Is there any progress? If not: 3. Ensure that "Administrators" and "SERVICE" accounts are added to the "Impersonate a client after Authentication" (SeImpersonatePrivilege) user right in Group Policy. Thanks.This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
May 11th, 2010 11:37am

Hi Mervyn, Thank you for your suggestions. Here is what I have tried so far: 1. The server is a production server hosting live e-commerce shopping carts, so I will try backing up and deleting the registry key later because this is higher risk. 2. The permissions of C:\WINNT\system32\wbem\wmiprvse.exe include Full Control for Administrators and SYSTEM. Read as well as Read & Execute for the Users group and for Everyone. 3. I selected Control Panel --> Administrative Tools --> Local Security Policy. I expanded Local Policies in the left hand pane. I selected User Rights Assignment in the left hand pane. Then I checked the properties of "Impersonate a client after authentication". Both "Administrators" and "SERVICE" accounts are already in "Impersonate a client after authentication".
May 12th, 2010 9:05am

Hi Gregor, Thank you for you suggestions on what to do. I have run the WMIDiag tool. It found errors such as: Root/CIMv2, Select * From Win32_Processor WHERE Name IS NOT NULL, 0x80041013 - (WBEM_E_PROVIDER_LOAD_FAILURE) COM cannot locate a provider referenced in the schema. and 32531 02:38:09 (0) ** 58 error(s) 0x80041003 - (WBEM_E_ACCESS_DENIED) Current user does not have permission to perform the action 32532 02:38:09 (0) ** => This error is typically due to insufficient or restricted permissions in the examined system. 32533 02:38:09 (0) ** => ENSURE you are a Full Administrator of the examined system, if the WMI provider or the 32534 02:38:09 (0) ** WMI system security do not enforce any restrictions. I did run WMIDiag as a full administrator.
May 12th, 2010 9:58am

Hi, Did you try to backup and delete the following keys? Please let us know the result. [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Ole] MachineLaunchRestriction DefaultAccessPermission MachineAccessRestriction ThanksThis posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
May 14th, 2010 8:58am

Hi Mervyn, Sorry, but I have not tried to backup and delete any registry key yet. Firstly, I do not know how to do this. Secondly, if the registry is edited incorrectly, one can damage the computer to the point where the operating system would have to be reinstalled. To reiterate, this Windows Server 2003 is a production server hosting live e-commerce shopping carts that cannot go down or be unavailable for more than 5 or 10 minutes. If I mess up this computer, I will be fired from my job. I want to look for and try lower risk alternatives first.
May 15th, 2010 6:38am

Is there anywhere I can read about the [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Ole] registry keys? I would like to know what I am deleting and the possible side effects it will have before I do this. I have read http://support.microsoft.com/kb/256986/en-us and http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326216/ These articles give some information on exporting individual registry keys as well as backing up the entire registry. Are there any other lower risk alternatives to correcting the WMI issue before editing the registry?
May 19th, 2010 12:21pm

Hi, For more information the Ole key, please refer to the following article: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Ole http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms687309%28VS.85%29.aspx I think the risk is not as high as you thought, we can backup the whole system in case. Thanks.This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
May 20th, 2010 9:48am

Hi Mervyn, Thank you for the article about the Ole key. Part of the reason I am nervous about editing the registry are Microsoft's own warnings about doing this. For example, the statement Warning Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly by using Registry Editor or by using another method. These problems might require that you reinstall the operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that these problems can be solved. Modify the registry at your own risk." is a direct quote from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/256986/en-us The production server with the WMI problem is in Virginia hosted by NTT America. I am in Illinois. I do not have a way to back up the whole system. I need to Remote Desktop to reach the server. If [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Ole] MachineLaunchRestriction DefaultAccessPermission MachineAccessRestriction is deleted and the server is rebooted, are these keys automatically regenerated?
May 22nd, 2010 2:56pm

Hi Mervyn, I backed up and then deleted the three registry keys [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Ole] MachineLaunchRestriction DefaultAccessPermission MachineAccessRestriction I restarted the server. Here is the result. When I try to launch SQL Server Configuration Manager, an error window appears stating: Cannot connect to WMI provider. You do not have permission or the server is unreachable. Note that you can only manage SQL Server 2005 servers with SQL Server Configuration Manager. Access denied [0x80041003] When I look at the Properties of the WMI Control, it says: Win32_Processor: WMI: Access denied Win32_WMISetting: Successful Security information: Successful Win32_OperatingSystem: WMI: Access denied After the restart, the three registry keys [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Ole] MachineLaunchRestriction DefaultAccessPermission MachineAccessRestriction were still missing (remained deleted). Do you have any other ideas or suggestions?
May 23rd, 2010 9:45am

Were you able to resolve this issue? I am seeing a similar problem on a SQL 2008 R2 failover cluster. Restarting the WMI service allows me to open and use configuration manager for a brief period before I start receiving access denied messages again.Jeff Graves, ORCS Web, Inc.
October 6th, 2010 12:50am

No, I have not resolved this issue yet.
October 20th, 2010 7:45pm

No, I have not resolved this issue yet. any luck? I am having a similar issue
October 30th, 2010 4:41am

Hi Tom, Please run Process Monitor Tool to track down the permissions conflict. Run the link via a web browser: live.sysinternals.com/procmon.exe and look for Access Denied while re-creating the WMI error. If you require assistance while reviewing the trace, let me know. ~Cheers Visit my Blog@ http://blog.helpforsure.info ~Cheers Visit my Blog@ http://blog.helpforsure.info
November 1st, 2010 11:22am

Hi Tom, Please try the below steps: 1. Try the following steps: Go to start > run > type DCOMCNFG Expand Component services > computer > my computer > DCOM config On the general tab ensure that the authentication level is set to 'default' Go to the security tab and check the permissions for "Launch and activation" and "Configuration" permissions Compare the permissions with a working 2003 server and make sure that administrators and system has full access 2. Try Registering all the core WMI dlls Type the following command in a command prompt: Sc Config winmgmt start= Disabled Net stop winmgmt Open a command prompt and go to C:\Windows\System32\Wbem Type the following command inside the Wbem directory: for /f %s in ('dir /b *.dll') do regsvr32 /s %s wmiprvse /regserver winmgmt /regserver net start winmgmt Thanks, Madhurjya Madhurjya Bora OS performance Team, MSFT
November 5th, 2010 3:52am

Hello Everyone, For reasons unrelated to WMI classes failing to initialize, the server experiencing this issue needed to have its hard disk drive wiped clean and the operating system reinstalled. I never discovered a more elegant way to solve the WMI classes initialization problem. Thank you to everyone for your suggestions!
February 10th, 2011 7:55pm

same problem i'm experiencing in one of my server..... until now no resolution yet.
May 20th, 2011 10:07am

Got same WMI problem on Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1. Permissions on WMI in DCOM Config are correct (compared to Win2k8R2 system without errors).
September 26th, 2011 6:37am

Got same WMI problem on Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1. Used winmgmt /verifyrepository from command prompt to diagnose the WMI repository consistency. It was inconsistent. Then I used winmgmt /salvagerepository to fix this. Then the error vanished.
September 26th, 2011 1:32pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics