Failed live migration from HyperV2012 to Hyperv2012R2 cluster

Im at a loss on something and I was wondering if you could point me in the right direction.    I tried to migrate a server from one of my 2012 hosts to a brand new verified Hyperv 2012 R2 cluster.  I had already succesfully migrated 5 others from there but this one Sql 2012 guest gave me a problem.

When I tried to live migrate it, it failed.  It said the hardware on the destination computer was not compatible.  I did some research and one blog said that sometimes you migrate to different hardware and it fails, like processors.  The guy on the blog said to check the box under processor\compatibility to put the virtual processor in compatibility mode.  I did that and tried again but it failed again.  This blog said something about resource groups.  The virt was locked at that point.

I got frustrated so I just turned off the guest and copied the disks and rebuilt it on Aag with the same memory processor setting.  I thought I was fine, but I looked at it the next day and in the failover cluster manager it shows the machine is off. 

BUT the VM is actually running because the server is working. Its a database server and the sites using it are up, and I can RDC to it.  So Im afraid to touch it.

And these are the errors from the event log

'Virtual Machine Configuration DEVDB1' failed to register the virtual machine with the virtual machine management service.

The Virtual Machine Management Service failed to register the configuration for the virtual machine '62AAD2B5-8E03-4B59-84E0-D52CBF36934B' at 'C:\ClusterStorage\Volume2\Devdb1\DEVDB1': The system cannot find the file specified. (0x80070002). If the virtual machine is managed by a failover cluster, ensure that the file is located at a path that is accessible to other nodes of the cluster.

Cluster resource 'Virtual Machine Configuration DEVDB1' of type 'Virtual Machine Configuration' in clustered role 'DEVDB1' failed. The error code was '0x2' ('The system cannot find the file specified.').

Based on the failure policies for the resource and role, the cluster service may try to bring the resource online on this node or move the group to another node of the cluster and then restart it.  Check the resource and group state using Failover Cluster Manager or the Get-ClusterResource Windows PowerShell cmdlet.

I think I moved it while it was in a funky state.  I also think I was supposed to export the vm first.  I guess Im a newbie but Im not sure what to do to fix it.  Any advice is greatly appreciated.

October 16th, 2014 11:47am

I think i found at least part of the problem but i'm not sure.  My new VM's configuration files and directory are called this.

D79490DB-48F9-40A4-9540-53F2532D3F7F

D79490DB-48F9-40A4-9540-53F2532D3F7F.xml

Not 62AAD2B5-8E03-4B59-84E0-D52CBF36934B

Still not sure what to do about that though.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 16th, 2014 11:54am

Hi,

To live migrate a highly available VM you have also to check in virtual network to witch the machine is connected already exist in the destination host and with the same name...

Bye

October 20th, 2014 5:08am

I fixed this by removing the server in both the local HyperV, and the cluster, then creating it from scratch only using the cluster interface.
  • Marked as answer by Statistic 16 hours 43 minutes ago
October 21st, 2014 1:57pm

I fixed this by removing the server in both the local HyperV, and the cluster, then creating it from scratch only using the cluster interface.
  • Marked as answer by Statistic Tuesday, October 21, 2014 5:55 PM
October 21st, 2014 8:55pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics