Failed Service pack installation
Tried installing Windows Server 2003 SP1, but it freezes during install. Windows Server 2003 SP1 is listed in the installed programs list, but it isn't reflected in System properties. So I'm guessing it is a partial, failed install. Tried to remove it using add/remove programs - Errored out with "The system can not find the specified file". Tried to install SP2 to overcome this issue. When trying to install Windows Server 2003 SP2 I receive an Error "Setup could not verify the integrity of the update.inf. Make sure the cryptographic service is running". I verified that it was running. Searched the Internet for the SP2 installation error. Saw lots of suggestions to renam the %Systemroot%\System32\Catroot2 folder to Catroot2.old and reboot. Did so; it was recreated by Windows but it didn't fix the issue. I tried creating a log during installation of SP2 using: update /verbose /er /log:{specified path} /norestart A log was not created at my specified path, but the Cabuild.log from the Verbose switch was created in the Windows directory and the contents are below. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Cab Build Debug Log Begins ************************* LoadOrInstallBranchesInf: Source branches.inf is newer; using source. LoadOrInstallBranchesInf: Using d:\chl\win2k3sp2\i386\update\branches.inf. LoadOrInstallBranchesInf: BRANCHES_INF_OP_LOAD: Loading d:\chl\win2k3sp2\i386\update\branches.inf ... LoadOrInstallBranchesInf: BRANCHES_INF_OP_LOAD: Load succeeded. InitInst: LoadOrInstallBranchesInf succeeded. InitInst: LoadUpdateBrInf succeeded. InitInst: LoadOrInstallBranchesInf succeeded. InitInst: No inf for SP# 0. InitInst: Using branch sp2rtm. InitInst: g_BranchAware=TRUE. InitInst: Using inf d:\chl\win2k3sp2\i386\update\update.inf. FileInUse:: AppFileInUseDetect value is set as: 0 FileInUse:: ServiceFileInUseDetect value is set as: 0 ReadConfiguration: UseCache value is set as: 0 Leave issued: file = d:\nt.x86fre\installer\pi_ws03_sp2\update\update\doinst.c, line = 6768, ESP = 0x0006bd20, EBP = 0x0006f3ac ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Tried to unregister/reregister problem DLLs related to update process: At the command prompt, type the following commands, and press ENTER after each command: regsvr32 /u softpub.dll regsvr32 /u wintrust.dll regsvr32 /u initpki.dll regsvr32 /u dssenh.dll regsvr32 /u rsaenh.dll regsvr32 /u gpkcsp.dll regsvr32 /u sccbase.dll regsvr32 /u slbcsp.dll regsvr32 /u mssip32.dll regsvr32 /u cryptdlg.dll Restarted the Server. At the command prompt, type the following commands, and press ENTER after each command: regsvr32 softpub.dll regsvr32 wintrust.dll regsvr32 initpki.dll regsvr32 dssenh.dll regsvr32 rsaenh.dll regsvr32 gpkcsp.dll regsvr32 sccbase.dll regsvr32 slbcsp.dll regsvr32 mssip32.dll regsvr32 cryptdlg.dll Tried to remove the Windows Server 2003 service pack 1 in Add/remove programs, but still no luck.
October 24th, 2009 12:24am

You might want to ask them here.http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsupdate&cat=en_US_56d1dd45-de9e-4fc5-9bc1-2d1d0de6daee&lang=en&cr=USRegards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional Microsoft MVP [Windows]
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 24th, 2009 11:23pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics