FTP user Isolation
I am trying to setup FTP on my Win 2003 server and I want to Isolate the users. I have tried both of the different types of user isolation, but I get the same result...Failure. The message I get from an ftp client, is that they do not have access to the home directory. I have made both local users and domain users (depending on which isolation type I tried). I have also given full access rights to the home folder that I want them to go to upon connecting. There has got to be something I am missing.Any help would be appreciated
February 15th, 2010 9:08pm

Isolate the users from what? You mention "both of the different types of user isolation" What are you refering too?User home folders in FTP require the NTFS permissions to be set correctly. If you are getting accessed denied your NTFS permissions are incorrect.In your FTP Root folder you need a Users Subfolder. Inside Users you need a separate folder that exactly matches each username.The permissiosn should be something like thisD:\FTPRoot <- Authenticated Users - Read Only+Users <- Authenticated Users - Read Only +User1 <- Authenticated Users - Read Only (optional), User1 Read/Write +User2<- Authenticated Users - Read Only (optional), User2 Read/Write +User3<- Authenticated Users - Read Only (optional), User3 Read/WriteAs always give SYSTEM and the Local Adminsitrators group Full Control
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 16th, 2010 12:01am

for teh 2 different type, I mean "Isolate users" and "Isolate users using Acitve Directory"I had the directory setup as: c:\inetpup\ftproot\localfolder\username (meaning it is the same name as teh user)I had the permissions for the username folder for full control for the user, local admin and system accout.
February 16th, 2010 12:50am

Incorrect -> c:\inetpup\ftproot\localfolder\username must be -> c:\inetpup\ftproot\Users\usernameif you are using both local and AD accounts, then the name must be unique because there is only one Users folder.
February 16th, 2010 12:55am

ok, so the "users" folder needs to be set for "Auteticated USers" to be read only correct?I do have 1 thing I am concerend about as well though....on one of teh users, the folder they need to go to is on a different server....how would I set that one up? ANy different?
February 16th, 2010 1:10am

ok, i have set the permissions as you suggested. I am getting the same message,"Home Directory inaccessable"I am currently trying it with AD. So I assume in teh user account I have the users home directory set to "c:\inetpup\ftproot\Users\username"
February 16th, 2010 1:49am

Yes, that is correct.You need to allow authenticated users access to c:\inetpub, ftproot and the Users folder.
February 17th, 2010 1:22am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics