FTP over internet
How can I access my ftp from outside our intranet? We use a hosting manager which already has it's own ftp, this one is obviously very limited. So I wish to access the ftp i setup in our local network. How can I do this? Do I need to port forward (NAT) on my router to FTP ports? But then how can I access my ftp exactly? I actually have no idea what address to type. We use a webmail exchange as webmail.bob.be/exchange. Our router is webmail.bob.be:10080. Any ideas anyone?
October 29th, 2008 9:26pm

Dear WtFudgE,You probably want to forward port 21 to the server that is hosting FTP. This is standard FTP port and if your router is blocking it, then you will never be able to use FTP from outside of your local network.To reach the server, you can test a couple different ways. If you use IE, you can type in ftp://webmail.bob.be and you should be presented with the ftp. This will use port 21. You may have to change some settings under IE, under Internet options, under the advanced tab, uncheck the "use passive FTP". This will force IE to always use port 21, if you use passive FTP, IE chooses a random port to use.Please try this. You may want to experiment with usernames and passwords, or just setting up the FtP site annonymously for the users, either way has its pros and cons.Scotty
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 29th, 2008 10:23pm

I forwared port 21 to my server, the thing is I can now access my ftp through it's outside IP address, but only when I'm on our network, when I try to do it outside of our network (let's say e.g. at home) it doesn't work. Ideas?
October 31st, 2008 11:41am

WtFudgE,Are you sure of your DNS entry for the webmail. When I try to ping it, I get cannot find hostname webmail.bob.be. Is this only an internal DNS entry? Do you have a public DNS entry setup? What is the public IP address? From outside the network (like at home) open a command prompt, type in 'ftp open <public IP> and see if you get a response. This will tell you if everything is working correctly. If you are able to connect with the public IP, it is a DNS issue, and you will need to setup a public DNS entry for your server.Scotty
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 31st, 2008 3:42pm

Allow me to go into more details of our network here.We have 2 public IP's. One static: 87.66.13.125 which is linked to a firewall at 192.168.66.254 (http://87.66.13.125 won't work because we changed the http port to another number)Another public IP is dynamic which is linked to a firewall at 192.168.33.254. This public dynamic IP can also be accessed through http://scsvnc.dyndns.org(again the http port is changed to another number).We have one network running on 192.168.66.xxx and another one running on 192.168.33.xxx.33 is for our own pc's and 66 is for the pc's we fix. Also one wireless router is attached on the 66 network.Now our exchange server runs on 192.168.33.14. Since the exchange server is only needed for our own network and not for the pcfixing network. Meaning that all pc's on 33 are on our domain, named scsexchange. So I created an ftp on our exchange, or also 192.168.33.14, meaning ftp://192.168.33.14 works internally. When I type ftp://scsvnc.dyndns.org this also works (or linking to our dynamic IP).I created a passive ftp and inc:\Inetpub\adminiscripts i run the commandadsutil.vbs /MSFTPSVC/PassivePortRange "5500-5520" to insert a rate for client ports.Then I knew I had to open some ports on our firewalls, but I didn't know exacly. On our 192.168.33.254 I forwarded port 21 to 192.168.33.14. This is always from incoming interface WAN, no other option is available. In this same firewall I noticed an optionExternal Access to Services where I could also insert ports. I didn't think I should port forward the ports 5500-5520 to some ip so. So in thisExternal Access to Services I entered all these ports and also port 21 just to be sure.This didn't work yet (meaning no pc from outside our intranet could access). So I thought since our traffic passes the other firewall, I also could enter these ports here. This firewall works a bit different, I could enter portforwarding, here I could chose from "the internet" and also from "the lan port interface". I did both ways just to be sure and also on all ports 21, 5500-5520. I can access it internally atftp://scsvnc.dyndns.org/but not from outside. Could this be a problem at my provider? Or maybe at the dyndns.org service?
November 4th, 2008 7:16pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics