FSMO Placement for 2012
Scenario - AD  Win 2012. Single Domian, single forest Twelve sites and 2 DCs at each site.

Site A is the main location and I want to know the effective way of placing FSMO in the 2 DCs at Site A. One DC at site A is GC.

My present plan is like below.

DC1(GC) - Domain naming master, Schema master and PDC

DC2 - IM & RID pool manager.

IS there any issue in my plans?

January 11th, 2014 3:54pm

I don't think there are issues what you've planned.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 11th, 2014 5:33pm

It depends on what else you have running.  Many applications, like Exchange, require a global catalog at each site.  Even if you only have a single domain.  Since it is only a single domain, there is no harm in making all of your DCs global catalogs.  It won't increase any replication, but it will make all of your DCs more effective because of those applications that query _gc. records.

Also, have you enabled the Active Directory Recycle Bin?  Once that is enabled, it renders the IM basically useless.

So, only issue I see.... make all DCs GCs.  Separating them is a early 2000's concept and no longer relevant.

January 11th, 2014 5:39pm

Hi,

In addition, regarding FSMO placement, please also take a look at the link below:

FSMO placement and optimization on Active Directory domain controllers

Best regards

Michael

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 13th, 2014 3:38am

I would recommend placing them all in a DC in the main site that is reachable by all other DCs. Better if this DC is a physical one.

You can see detailed recommendations here: http://oreilly.com/pub/a/windows/2004/06/15/fsmo.html

If you would like to separate them on multiple DCs, just follow what is recommended in the article.

January 13th, 2014 4:14am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics