FSMORoleOwner issue

Hello. I hope someone can help me with an AD issue I seem to be having. I am running Operations Manager in my environment and i am getting the following AD warnings, (warning has been edited).

AD Replication Monitoring : encountered a runtime error.

Failed to obtain the InfrastructureMaster using a well known GUID.

The error returned was: 'Failed to get the 'fSMORoleOwner' attribute from the object 'LDAP://DomainController.com/<WKGUID=2fbac1870ade11d297c400c04fd8d5cd,DC=ForestDnsZones,DC=Domain,DC=com>'.

The error returned was: 'There is no such object on the server.' (0x80072030)' (0x80072030)

Basically I am getting an error around the FSMORoleOwner attribute.

In doing some research, i came across this KB article: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2891966

The first half of the article fixed a GPO issue that i was having. Further down there is a More Information, which hits on the warning above.

The More Information states to check ADSIEdit:

1. Open ADSIEdit and connect to DC=DomainDNSZones,DC=Domain,DC=com.

Right click the object CN=InfraStructure

Look for the attribute fSMORoleOwner and verify it is pointing to the right FSMO holder.

2. Connect to DC=DomainDNSZones,DC=Domain,DC=com.

Look for the attribute fSMORoleOwner and verify it is pointing to the right FSMO holder.

3. Connect to DC=DC=Domain,DC=com.

Looking at the CN=InfraStructure attribute, it looks like the FSMORoleOwner is pointing to an old decommissioned DC.

So my question (after all that), is there a way or safe way to repoint the FSMORoleOwner attribute to the correct DC?

August 28th, 2015 1:07pm

You should lookup seizing roles, it sounds like at some point you had DC issues and a DC is now gone without transferring the roles properly. There are a ton of articles on seizing fsmo roles and how to do it properly. The reason you are not having other issues is the active DC is being used for the role it isn't the owner but it works because eit thinks the owner may return. The seizure of the role will basically configure AD with an active server holding the role. You may want to check all your other roles.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 28th, 2015 1:15pm

Looking at the CN=InfraStructure attribute, it looks like the FSMORoleOwner is pointing to an old decommissioned DC.

Please first open command prompt and execute the command netdom query fsmo to list all your FSMO role holder servers.

You should force to move/seize any role when a server that holds it is decommissioned.

For more information about how to transfer or seize FSMO roles to a domain controller, please refer to this article:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/255504

Regards,

Eth

August 31st, 2015 2:12am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics